Active Now

Randy D
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "This week's ruling means we need new Justices". Per trump on SCOTUS because he got smacked down TWICE. Do you agree with him?

"This week's ruling means we need new Justices". Per trump on SCOTUS because he got smacked down TWICE. Do you agree with him?

The trump CHOSE Gorsuch who wrote the opinion about LGBTQ that went Contra to what trump wanted when the decision came down on Monday.

So why did trump choose a traitor then? Do you know?

Justice Roberts (Republican) was CHOSEN by President George W. Bush. A good choice all things considered so far.

Why trump is such a LOUSY chooser I don't know. Maybe so he can complain about them?

Posted - June 19, 2020

Responses

Nothing pleased me more than the SCOTUS' decision on this matter.  However, the court stated that what Trump was trying to do was not unconstitutional - it was the way he chose to do it that caused them to rule against him.

"Chief Justice John Roberts, who wrote the majority opinion, called the Department of Homeland Security's action "arbitrary and capricious," therefore unlawful. The ruling was 5-4: The court's four liberal justices agreed, and the four more conservative justices dissented.

"We do not decide whether DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) or its rescission are sound policies," Roberts said. "We address only whether the agency complied with the procedural requirement that it provide a reasoned explanation for its action. Here the agency failed to consider the conspicuous issues of whether to retain forbearance and what if anything to do about the hardship to DACA recipients." 

"The basic rule here is clear: An agency must defend its actions based on the reasons it gave when it acted," he wrote, referring to the faulty rescission in 2017. "This is not the case for cutting corners to allow DHS to rely upon reasons absent from its original decision."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/06/18/daca-supreme-court-donald-trump-end-immigration-program/4458220002/

This post was edited by SpunkySenior at June 19, 2020 8:03 AM MDT
      June 19, 2020 8:03 AM MDT