Active Now

Thebigd
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » People who currently work or previously worked in radio broadcasting, what is SUPPOSED to happen when dead air takes place?

People who currently work or previously worked in radio broadcasting, what is SUPPOSED to happen when dead air takes place?

Is the on-air personality (DJ, anchor, commentator, etc.) responsible for jumping in and ad-libbing?

Is the program director, producer, board operator, engineer, etc. expected to correct it?

In today’s technology-rich and human absent climate, is some type of machination installed to recognize and then rectify the problem?

I pose this question because from what little I know of the industry, dead air is its equivalent to an airliner losing all engine power at high altitude or a cruise ship running aground or a nude shot suddenly appears on a TV screen.  A local radio station has had about three such dead air incidents over the past ten days, the longest one of them lasted about three or four minutes. It seemed as if someone was asleep at the switch, as if no one was paying attention. 

~

Posted - June 30, 2020

Responses

Usually, the personality is supposed to step in and take over while the producer or tech team corrects the issue. That said, a lot of shows, especially now with COVID, are not live. The hosts pre-record their bits. Many are working from home too, which makes it harder to catch and correct things. 

Obviously, I'm not in the industry and someone who is may prove me wrong, but that's my understanding of it based on interactions with industry people. 
      June 30, 2020 3:51 PM MDT

All of that makes sense, thank you. 

~

June 30, 2020 3:53 PM MDT

They could have someone ready to jump in and fill dead air time with spelling and grammar lessons and to explain the proper use of tildes and things like that. 
      June 30, 2020 4:35 PM MDT

Yes!

(Hey, wait . . . )
    ~

June 30, 2020 5:23 PM MDT