Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Beauty » Hairdressers and hairstylists, why are you frequently so eager to chop off women’s long hair?

Hairdressers and hairstylists, why are you frequently so eager to chop off women’s long hair?

I’m specifically referring to when you as the stylist either suggest, recommend or advise that it be done, and to those instances where you do it on your own because in your opinion it looks better short. I am not referring to when the client herself requests that her hair be lopped off. It seems as if there’s some campaign among hair professionals that is decidedly against women having or keeping their hair long.

Any variety of women’s hair styles, whether bald, extremely short, medium, long, or extra long, has its own attractiveness, so I am not stating that all women should only have long hair and anything else is ugly, that’s not my position at all.  Additionally, I also acknowledge that a woman decides to change her style from one extreme to the other over time, whether that be at each visit or over a number of years/decades.

This question is precisely about long hair being whacked away at the stylists’ whims as opposed to the clients’ wishes or when the stylists convinces the client that shorter is better.

Posted - July 1, 2020

Responses

Not a hairstylist, but I know several and they all want to cut my long hair. They say it's a blank canvas and they like the idea of transforming someone's whole look.

The other thing is that a lot of women with really long hair have split ends and getting them cut off makes a world of difference in how healthy the hair looks.
      July 1, 2020 6:15 PM MDT

Doesn’t the cut for split ends only require a few inches at the tips, not cutting all the way down to the scalp?

~

July 1, 2020 11:00 PM MDT