Active Now

Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » A curiosity. An author writes his/her first book. Some adore it and buy all subsequent books by that author. The curious part?

A curiosity. An author writes his/her first book. Some adore it and buy all subsequent books by that author. The curious part?

It's always the same book written repeatedly. Same style same story no deviation one from the other.

But the devoted fans will buy what the author writes so his/her success is assured.

I wonder if they actually read each one as if it is something new? Or do they just buy them and put them on the shelf and wait to buy the next one never opening another one again because well they memorized it?

Such is the power of "popular".

Posted - July 11, 2020

Responses

There are some authors that I follow religiously because I like the writing style and/or become very interested in the character when that author writes in a series.  James Patterson is an author I really like because his books don't have so many characters that I can't remember who's who.  Most of his books are different stories.  I also like Brad Thor, whose Scott Harvath character and Lee Child, whose Jack Reacher character are interesting.
      July 11, 2020 6:25 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply L and Happy Saturday. My sis used to be a Stephen King fan. Don't know if she still is. My fave is John Steinbeck of course. Also William Saroyan..Don't read nearly as much as I use to do. After eye surgeries and a lens implant reading is possible but less pleasurable. :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 11, 2020 6:36 AM MDT
      July 11, 2020 6:29 AM MDT

I read a couple of Stephen King's books, but found them way too gory for my taste.  I don't mind a little torture, but I don't want to read about it in excruciating detail.  I used to read on the way to and on the way back from work.  Got in two hours of reading plus whatever I read before going to sleep.  Now that I'm working from home, you would think I'd have more reading time, but somehow, I can't just sit and read without getting sleepy.  Sometimes, if I wake up very early and can't make noise, I will sit in the living room and read.  
      July 11, 2020 6:39 AM MDT

You "can't make noise"? Why?
      July 11, 2020 6:41 AM MDT

Because someone lives in the apartment under mine.  The building was put up post-WWII when there was a huge need for housing and sometimes, i think it was put together with spit and glue.  All the floors squeak and I try to be considerate of that tenant, so I don't do a lot of walking around at 6AM.
      July 11, 2020 6:53 AM MDT

Oh I see. Long ago we lived in an upstairs apartment in Chatsworth, California across the street from the high school my son attended. We tried to tiptoe too so I understand. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      July 11, 2020 7:15 AM MDT

Fortunately for me, the gal that lives above me is not noisy (much).
      July 11, 2020 7:55 AM MDT

That's good. Geez I remember where we lived before..ground floor apatment...one couple moved in upstairs and they were extremely noisy. So when they moved quieter folks moved in! A blessing. But we rent a house in Hemet so no problemo! :)
      July 11, 2020 8:01 AM MDT

I had that problem many years ago when some young gal moved in with her part-time boyfriend.  We have sliding closet doors and she spent half the time whipping them back and forth not to mention no carpeting and coming home at 2 AM stomping across the apartment in high-heeled boots, then the headboard slamming against the wall for half an hour or more.  Then, all of a sudden, I didn't hear anyone upstairs.  Seems they evicted her for non-payment of rent.  Then the gal who's there now moved in and it was like heaven by comparison.
      July 11, 2020 9:06 AM MDT