Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Education » Did you ever skip school? During my senior year I skipped most Fridays and forged a note from my mother.

Did you ever skip school? During my senior year I skipped most Fridays and forged a note from my mother.

Posted - July 15, 2020

Responses

I skipped a few days ... when I had an appointment earlier in the day, and would arrive late.

July 15, 2020 3:06 PM MDT

No, although I did skip classes (and yet I still graduated with straight A’s).

July 15, 2020 3:08 PM MDT

Once, exactly ONE time. It was called “ditching” back then, I was the bookworm, a nerdy kid who never broke the rules, and my best friend was the one who always in trouble and was was a master at ditching.  He had been after me for some time to go along with him on his self-appointed wandering from the halls of education, and one day he finally talked me into it. I was still reluctant, but he convinced me that it would be a cinch to get away with it and that it would be a whole lot of fun.

We embarked on our journey, but I was a neurotic wreck the entire time, afraid of every shadow and jumping to the conclusion that we would be caught at any moment and hauled off to the hoosegaw with life sentences at hard labor. In fact, a police car rolled by us at one point, and I panicked, practically throwing myself on the mercy of the court. My buddy, long an acquaintance of run-ins with all types of authority figures, talked me down from the tower and the police car passed by within ten seconds and the emergency was over. 

We ended up doing a lot of walking around the downtown area staring into store windows (I doubt we had more than a bus fare‘s amount of money between us), and the great excursion that I had been promised didn’t seem to be materializing. I don’t know what I had expected, but between my agonizing over class work that I was missing, my whining about going afoul of the law, and continually bugging him every ten minutes as to what we were going to do next, I was bored out of my gourd. I found absolutely nothing fascinating about the trek, and could not fathom why anyone ever did it. 

We soon found ourselves sitting on the steps at a side entrance of the state capitol building at midday, eating cold tamales wrapped in foil. A trio of sharply-dressed, pretty girls our age happened by right at that moment and saw us in mid-chew, a chubby Mexican-American guy and a skinny black guy, like garden variety teenaged version of the Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy comedy duo. When I saw those three girls, I thought it was the highlight of our day, the reason to live, a light at the end of the tunnel!  [Sidebar: at that tender young age, I had not yet become the rake that I am today with the ladies, I was still a shy, shrill, awkward kid who didn’t know the first thing about how to talk to girls.]  

The three girls were Mexican-American, just like my buddy, so I automatically assumed that meant he’d have some special kind of magic with them if he tried to talk to them for us.  I turned to him excitedly to urge him into making a move on our behalf, only to find that he and the three girls had already made eye contact with each other, whereupon he immediately turned away from them in complete embarrassment, trying to hide from them the tamale he held in his hand. The three girls in turn snickered and giggled between themselves and rolled their eyes as they covered their mouths with their hands and began to chide us between themselves. One of them said something in Spanish, which at the time I did not speak, but my buddy was 100% fluent. The other two girls guffawed at what she had said, all three of them turned their backs, walked away laughing at us, and leaving me confused as to what our faux pas was. My buddy, normally a glutton, immediate lost his appetite and threw his tamale away. It took some doing, but I later got him to explain to me what was going on, and it turned out to be completely cultural. My buddy was embarrassed because of some class difference between the obviously more sophisticated status the girls held and the street-thug type of scenario we represented sitting there on the ground eating low-class food like a couple of vagabonds.  He never did tell me the word we had been called on Spanish, but it wasn’t anything good.

Alas, the day ended uneventfully, no great adventure ever ensued, but at the sane same time, I never got caught by my mother. I don’t remember the ramifications at school, which means that they were probably either minimal or zero.  I never ditched again, or played hooked, or skipped school. Fear and boredom don’t make good fodder for repeat offender status. 

~

This post was edited by Randy D at July 18, 2020 11:18 PM MDT
      July 15, 2020 4:15 PM MDT

We are quite opposites in that respect. I reveled in mischief. A buddy had taken summer school for three years so he could join the Army at 17. He would come home Fridays on three day passes. (He was stationed at Fort Knox.) He lived down the street from the school, so when classes let out we would sit on his porch and watch the other students wander by. Another friend and I skipped and went to Detroit to visit my sister, then crossed over to Canada just for the heck of it. School sucked.
      July 15, 2020 4:25 PM MDT

A lot.
      July 15, 2020 5:14 PM MDT

I skipped so much school in grade nine that I had to spend the summer between grade 9 and 10 in summer school. My mother, her boyfriend and my sister all went to stupid Florida for a “week” that summer and I had to stay home for school. They left me money for food but I spent it all in the first 3 days they were gone at the local fair because I was sure I could survive the last 3 days on a loaf of bread. Then they freakin called my from Florida and said they were staying an extra week in the states and going to Nashville. So I almost starved to death. Now I forgot what the question was...  
      July 15, 2020 5:54 PM MDT

POST. 
      OF. 
      THE. 
      YEAR!

This is classic Jaimeism at its best!

~

July 15, 2020 6:51 PM MDT

Lol, thanks :) I like to ramble. 
      July 15, 2020 6:53 PM MDT

I skipped during recess. 
      July 15, 2020 6:15 PM MDT

Hey, wait . . . 

~

July 15, 2020 6:51 PM MDT

My dad was pretty serious about school so I never tried.  I even missed out on Senior Ditch Day.
      July 15, 2020 7:10 PM MDT

WHAT??? No beach day -_- This post was edited by Jaimie at July 17, 2020 4:59 AM MDT
      July 15, 2020 7:12 PM MDT

Everybody else went to the lake but I was more afraid of my dad and my friends than I was afraid of missing out.  I know my dad took a drive by the lake that day just to check.  I was also a scene kid in high school so my friends group was too cool for Senior Ditch Day.  The only other kids in class besides my friends and me that day were Perfect Valedictorian Girl and Outcast School Shooter Guy.
      July 15, 2020 7:24 PM MDT

What’s a “scene kid”?

~

July 15, 2020 7:26 PM MDT

We had big hair with bangs over one eye and we really liked stripey socks.  Our most important accessories were our iPods and if you got too close to us you'd get hit with a glitter bomb.
      July 19, 2020 4:44 AM MDT

Ewwwwwww. 

~

July 19, 2020 7:12 AM MDT

Well I hope you and the other two class mates that stayed behind at least got to watch movies that day or something good :) lol ditch day really isn’t a big deal but seems HUGE back at the time. 
      July 15, 2020 7:31 PM MDT

• Nope. In fact, I received a "Perfect Attendance" award upon graduation!
      July 16, 2020 11:53 AM MDT

i skipped slighty often lol. in high school it was bad . i was smoking lot of weed with socalled friends
      July 21, 2020 10:54 AM MDT

Only time I didn't go to school was if I was sick or there was really something wrong and I couldn't go.
      August 15, 2020 8:59 AM MDT