Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Politics » Is there too much criminalization of political differences in our country?

Is there too much criminalization of political differences in our country?

Former New York governor George Pataki recently called this a "third-world negative" that has become too commonplace.

Posted - July 18, 2020

Responses

Former New York governor George Pataki recently called this a "third-world negative" that has become too commonplace.

There’s something wrong with this sentence. 
    ~

July 18, 2020 9:21 AM MDT

What's wrong with it? It's what he said.
      July 18, 2020 9:41 AM MDT

What exactly is the “this”?  Is it the political differences, or is it the criminalization of political differences?  I’m not sTsing that he either said it or did not say it.
    ~

July 18, 2020 9:45 AM MDT

He meant criminalization of political differences. Sorry, I thought it was clear from the context.
      July 18, 2020 9:52 AM MDT

It can be read either way. Thank you for the clarification. 

As long as we as humans have among us the “my side is always good and my opponent’s side is always bad”, those attitudes and sentiments of looking down at a person’s political choices will continue.   It takes both true character and above-average intelligence to overcome such narrow and negative thinking. 

~

July 18, 2020 9:57 AM MDT

And if we care to pick nits, criminalization is "this" while political differences would be "these."
      July 18, 2020 10:02 AM MDT

Once again, it can be read two ways: your entire first sentence can be construed as a “this”.

Don’t try picking nits with me, Partner. I’m a master at it.  Need I reuse this meme?

~

July 18, 2020 10:25 AM MDT