Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Legal » When a person is fined for an offense, be it major or minor, where does the money go?

When a person is fined for an offense, be it major or minor, where does the money go?

Posted - July 22, 2020

Responses

Without some specificity, I'll take a guess and say that it goes into the general treasury of that governmental agency.
      July 22, 2020 4:33 PM MDT

It depends on the infraction and the jurisdiction that issues the citation or judgment. 
      July 22, 2020 5:25 PM MDT

If it's an offense against an individual, such as identity theft, it can go toward restitution for the victim.
      July 22, 2020 5:32 PM MDT

Courts do order restitution but it doesn't come out of the fine....or I should say I've never heard of that.  Fines pay for the system and are punishment for the defendant.  Restitution goes straight to a victim.  Judges don't even have discretion of where "fine" payments go.   This from NOLO:

Fines. It’s common for courts to order someone convicted of identity theft pay a fine. Misdemeanor fines can sometimes reach in excess of $1,000, while felony fines can easily exceed $5,000.
    Restitution. If the identity theft results in a victim losing money or suffering financial harm, courts will also typically order the defendant to pay restitution to the victim. Restitution is designed to compensate the victim for his or her loss, while fines are designed to penalize the perpetrator. Because it can take an identity theft victim significant time and effort to recover from identity theft (repair credit reports, shut down accounts), some states require defendants pay a minimum amount in restitution even if the victim suffered no direct financial loss.
      July 22, 2020 7:48 PM MDT

OK.
      July 22, 2020 7:58 PM MDT

Too much, huh? 

I have to laugh at myself sometimes..........

July 22, 2020 8:04 PM MDT

All of the answers so far are on target, and I will add that a portion of some jurisdictions’ collected fines and fees are used for administrative costs, and ironically, those administrative costs are usually involved in the collection of fines and fees, the processing of fines and fees, the distribution of fines and fees, the payment of salaries and benefits for personnel who work in the section/office charged with the responsibility for fines and fees.

~

July 22, 2020 7:45 PM MDT

I've never heard anyone say they believe that convicted defendants should not share in the cost of their justice. 
      July 22, 2020 7:59 PM MDT

??????

I’m confused.  Did I say that they should not?

:(

July 22, 2020 9:35 PM MDT

Don't be confused.  I simply made a point.  I sensed just a bit of sarcasm in your post.  You're lucky I didn't write a whole brief on the matter like I did earlier. 
      July 23, 2020 12:58 AM MDT

Here in California at least, there’s an entire movement of people bellyaching that the accused and the convicted are too destitute to afford any costs associated with their cases, and that it‘s racist and bigoted to expect it of them. 

P.S. I like it when entire briefs are written; I learn from them. 

July 23, 2020 6:28 AM MDT

Isn't that why we have Legal Aid and public defenders?
      July 23, 2020 6:51 AM MDT

...into Trumps pockets.
    The dictator rules...unfortunately.

July 23, 2020 7:15 AM MDT

That might be the silliest thing I've ever read here.
      July 23, 2020 7:46 PM MDT