Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » "Black Lives Matter" is meant to address young unarmed black men being killed by cops. What does "all lives matter" address? Why?

"Black Lives Matter" is meant to address young unarmed black men being killed by cops. What does "all lives matter" address? Why?

Posted - October 7, 2016

Responses

"All Lives Matter" addresses the need for many Americans to reinforce their delusions we live in an Awesome Post-Racial Society where there is no such thing as institutional racism and if the cops shot N*gg*rs, Sp*cs, and/or F***ING HADJIS, the victims of those shootings surely had it coming to them.

Meanwhile, back in the Reality-Based Community...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-police-shootings-race-20160711-story.html

https://paw.princeton.edu/article/rules
      October 7, 2016 8:57 AM MDT

• There is definitely a large segment of that. Though I really don't think all who are saying fall into such a small corner.  Not all who are saying it are racist or deny racism exist, but all who do certainly scream it.
      October 7, 2016 9:20 AM MDT

Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslim. :-^D
      October 9, 2016 3:02 AM MDT

Not true. We did cover that one inside one of your questions while you attended under your other screen name.
      October 9, 2016 3:05 AM MDT

Of COURSE it's not true.   Notice the emoticon for 'tongue-in-cheek'?

I was responding to Glis in a manner stylistically similar to his statement that all who 'scream' white lives matter must be racist.

But to clarify: nobody I've heard comment on the BLM controversy has suggested that we live in a 'post racial' Utopia.  Far from it!  They would, however, generally insist that selecting one group or the other for 'special victimhood' status is counterproductive.  I know I certainly do.

BTW, I've never made any secret of my change in usernames/personas.  If others were misled by one or the other, that's not MY problem. :-)
      October 9, 2016 3:11 AM MDT

I wasn't implying you made your change a secret. ;-)
      October 9, 2016 3:32 AM MDT

Fine.  (Some have. :-))

Now, about the rest of my post/response...
      October 9, 2016 3:34 AM MDT

No further comments. I'm on my way offline.

As for the former, I'm not some. ;-)
      October 9, 2016 3:38 AM MDT

Have a good one, Saphhic!
      October 9, 2016 3:40 AM MDT

Who were you Tq and why the name change? Inquiring minds wanna know.
      October 9, 2016 3:50 AM MDT

I've already explained this to you in another thread/question...twice, in fact. :-)

I was Nimitz.  The reason for my 'initial' or 'original' change (from Transquesta) was to take some of the heat off JA who was being inundated by obsessive trolls from a now largely defunct site.  I may have a few people on AM who dislike me on account of my decidedly libertarian views, but over there I had a real 'fan' club. :-) This post was edited by Transquesta at October 9, 2016 3:58 AM MDT
      October 9, 2016 3:57 AM MDT

Mahalo for your reply OS and the links you provided. I just don't get it. The ideal response would have been for others to speak up and speak out and support the group. Instead the group gets attacked for being racist or troublemakers or even worse. It is a most unattractive thing to witness and perplexing as well. Happy Saturday! :)
      October 8, 2016 1:35 AM MDT

Attacks aren't limited to those aimed at BLM.  That's the problem.

Perhaps we could all get something from the dialogue if each 'side' weren't insulting the other? 

Or perhaps it's better to go on the offensive, with all manner of irrelevant/inaccurate labels in our quiver, for anyone who dares to disagree with 'us.' 

Black Lives matter.
    White lives matter.
    Blue lives matter.
    Yellow lives matter.

ALL lives matter, but to focus only on one subgroup GUARANTEES that we all shall remain divided. If that is one's goal, then have at it, but don't blame those who TRULY seek inclusiveness for an act or attitude they never committed or possessed.

October 9, 2016 3:01 AM MDT

How many young UNARMED men who are white/blue/yellow were killed by cops Tq? The recent spate of almost daily/weekly murder by cop of young UNARMED BLACK men is why the Black Lives Matter group was formed. If you wish to ignore that fact then of course you see it as you see it. We ARE divided. We ARE racist/bigoted. Simply setting that aside as if it didn't exist exacerbates the problem. Not talking about a problem does nothing to solve it. Just my opinion. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      October 9, 2016 3:42 AM MDT

Those who've fallen victim to police brutality transcend racial boundaries, Rosie. Some--too many--are black. Some--too many--are white. Some--too many, are yellow, red, etc.  Beyond that I don't play statistical shuck-and-jive.  That's a game reserved by people who like to think THEIR particular brand of victimization is the worst.

The REAL problem, Rosie, is police abuse/brutality and how it destroys the lives of everyone it touches.  THAT is the problem which is being completely ignored while we fuss among each other about which form or brand of victimization is worse.

For the record I don't give two squats in a tornado about whose victimization is the worst.  I want the victimization to fekking STOP!!

Happy (and peaceful) Sunday to you, too, Rosie. This post was edited by Transquesta at October 9, 2016 4:01 AM MDT
      October 9, 2016 3:48 AM MDT

If that is true...you want the victimization to STOP..then of what purpose is your ignoring any group who agrees with you and wants the victimization to stop? There are special interest groups in America Tq representing many ethnic and religious groups. Do you object to them as well? There are Latino groups and Jewish groups and LGBT groups and Christian groups and muslim groups and and and and and. They are all interested in being treated fairly and justly. Why don't you take them all on? I'm not being sarcastic though I admit it sounds as if I am. The anti-defamation Leagie. The ACLU. LGBT's. They all want to be treated fairly and justly. There is no difference among them yet you choose to single out Black Lives Matter. I think that is odd if you truly want all victimization to stop. Then you must want all such groups to disband since they do  support the divide. Thank you for your reply.
      October 9, 2016 3:59 AM MDT

My purpose, Rosie, is to focus on the abuse.  Period.  I don't give a hang about 'special interest groups.'  Beyond the very limited powers set aside for the 'group' called government, the Constitution of the United States doesn't recognize or protect 'group rights.'  It only recognizes INDIVIDUAL rights.  I only recognize individual rights.

Human beings are not bees and ants.  AS a human being I don't think in terms of hivish divisions.  We are Americans.  That is the only group to which, as far as I'm concerned, we/I belong.  I do not identify myself in terms of the arbitrary group(s) to which I belong.  I am a member of the smallest minority on earth: the individual.

...Oh, and you can trust me on this, Rosie.  You can take it to the friggin' bank! When/if anyone else ever demands 'group rights' (as, for example, the ones you've mentioned), I'm just as vociferously opposed to them as well.

October 9, 2016 4:08 AM MDT

Maybe  All Lives Matter address the problem that there are still people that can't except that black life's matter,. When the Black Life's Matter signs first came out they pointed out that black youth were being shot as if their life's didn't matter. I figure in a perfect World the whites would of read it and shouted out - right on my brother from another mother - I feel you and I support you. Instead we got the All life's Matter signs. Cheers and happy weekend!
      October 7, 2016 10:51 AM MDT

Nicely stated Nanoose. Maybe that's it.  I so agree with your response. Every word. It would have been nice to have all folks stand up and speak out and support the group instead of attack it or ridicule it or accuse the members of being racist. It would have been so nice but all people aren't nice or understanding or caring. They simply don't give a rat's a**. Thank you for your thoughtful reply m'dear and Happy Saturday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at October 8, 2016 1:39 AM MDT
      October 8, 2016 1:32 AM MDT

"ALL LIVES MATTER" expresses the view that police brutality TRANSCENDS the arbitrary racial divisions which others insist upon maintaining.

"ALL LIVES MATTER" expresses the view that ALL LIVES are of value.

"ALL LIVES MATTER" is a universally INCLUSIVE phrase whereas "Black lives matter" is clearly not. "Black Lives Matter" promulgates racial exclusivity in/of victimhood.  It draws attention AWAY from the REAL problem of police brutality!

October 9, 2016 3:31 AM MDT

It dismisses/ignores the fact that the LIVES of unarmed BLACK young men are being taken by cops in inordinate numbers Tq. Highlighting your answer in green does not make it any different than it was in your other response. If you cannot see the value of BLACK LIVES MATTER which is in answer to the recent history of what is going  on in this country then you will never understand. I'm sure you do the best you can do. If you could do better you would. It isn't a nuanced or subtle or esoteric or difficult fact to grasp. It doesn't take genius or advanced degrees to understand the purpose of the group. But I only speak for me and no one else.  Thank you for this reply too Tq.
      October 9, 2016 3:48 AM MDT

It dismisses/ignores nothing of the kind.  By now everyone SHOULD be aware that young, black men suffer disproportionately at the hands of America's 'justice' system.  We don't need any more 'special victimhood' status for a cultural subgroup which we already KNOW suffers the brunt of the abuse.  The best option, as far as I'm concerned, is to END the frapping abuse no matter who suffers the most.

As for the 'best I can do,' you're spot on about one thing.  I do not waste my time with the 'subtle nuances' of police brutality.  I focus my attention on getting others to see the REAL problem with the hopeful outcome of ENDING it WITHOUT further divisiveness.

Sorry you don't like my color choices, though. :-) This post was edited by Transquesta at October 9, 2016 4:03 AM MDT
      October 9, 2016 3:53 AM MDT

• In TQ's case I don't think he is ignoring that due to racism it affects people of color more.  I think TQ's point is that it is a bigger problem than just racism and that it's a militarized police problem.   The police problem hurts us it's just that blacks and people of color have the police problem and the racist problem.  If one is to see it this way than dismantling institutional racism won't mean an end to police brutality,  it would just put the numbers of white, brown, black  in more even numbers.  There is two problems racism and militarized police  for profit.

Me personally don't  identify with all or black lives matter because I don't see the value in hashtag twitter based movements.  I support the stated goals, the method is too fadish IMHO.  On the same token I don't oppose it either.  I've seen a lot of these Twitterverse protest get tainted by ugly forces and get veered in the wrong directions so I have little faith in their effectiveness.  This happened almost immediately with Occupy Wall street.  It's so impersonal they are easily manipulated and infiltrated to ruin them and steer them from the purpose.  Divide and conquer.
      October 9, 2016 8:14 AM MDT

Oh, no, Glis. You have it all wrong. I'm a horrible human being! A racist, a homophobe, a misogynist, a 'nuggeteer'...AND my breath stinks! :-) And why? Because I dare disagree with the lords of the hive about some completely ludicrous/divisive slogan. In truth we all know kowards in kevlar are only out to beat up on blacks. Nobody else EVER finds themselves a victim d!ckless cowards with badges. . .oh, wait: http://thefreethoughtproject.com/infant-responsible-grenade-thrown-face/ No! This couldn't have happened! This child was WHITE!

God I'm so sick of race whores I could SCREAM!
      October 9, 2016 4:26 PM MDT