Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Allegedly 1 in 10 Americans suffer from depression and 1 in 25 suffer from a serious mental illness. Allegedly. Know anyone llike that?

Allegedly 1 in 10 Americans suffer from depression and 1 in 25 suffer from a serious mental illness. Allegedly. Know anyone llike that?

Among "serious mental illness" is listed Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disease or Major Depression.

Posted - August 1, 2020

Responses

Yes. Me.
      August 1, 2020 6:02 AM MDT

Thee E? I don't want to pry or ask for specifics but whatever it is has it been with you your entire life? How intrusive has it been for you? I've been down in the dumps more than a time or two in my life but it was always short-lived. Whatever got me down I could shake off. Nothing serious ever. Well except for this one time... a brief thing. I thought I was losing my mind. My best friend (EFFIE) committed suicide. A gun to her head and she was dead. Her oldest daughter called to inform me. Effie's funeral was going to be in the afternoon so I went to work that morning and told my boss why I would be leaving early. So I leave and go to get into my car in the parking lot. I guess I just sat there awhile because the parking lot attendant came over and knocked on the window and asked if I were OK. I don't know where I had gone in my mind and I don't know how long I just sat there. It scared me though. I was "out of my mind" somewhere and I can't remember where. I went to the funeral and then when I got home I decided I'd better see a doctor just in case I was having a nervous breakdown. I made an appointment for the next day and called my boss to let him know I would not be in that day. When I told the doc about what I'd experienced and what I feared (he was my doc for years so he knew me) he told me something I will never forget. He said we all have demons lurking in dark shadows that come out from time to time. Just avoid those dark places. He told me that's what he did. Now I don't know if that is proper protocol or if what he told me was really true for him but it helped me a lot and I never forgot his kindness to me. What was that I experienced? I don't know but it really scared me.  Anyway take care m'dear. If you have any demons lurking anywhere just avoid them. It's what I've done for 40 years! Thank you for your reply E! :)
      August 1, 2020 6:16 AM MDT

It started with depression when I was very young. It progressed to bi-polar while I was in the Navy. It is under control, but has left me with little desire to do anything anymore.
      August 1, 2020 8:48 AM MDT

I had no idea E. Please forgive me for my past sniping at you at times. Our relationship has been long and mostly good but sometimes you really hurt my feelings. You switched on me out of the blue sometimes and I could never figure out why.  When we disagreed it was usually kindly. When it wasn't I was gobstomped! I understand now and I apologize for not recognizing it. There was another Answerbag/Answermug member who was bipolar. I was able to figure that out on my own because her switches were from angel to wicked witch. Yours were never like that. So sorry for the past and actually I'm sorry that some of your joy in life is gone. My understanding is that the reason some don't take their meds regularly is that the side effects are quite unpleasant so sometimes they're feeling really good and think maybe they don't have to take them.  Mea culpa.
      August 1, 2020 8:58 AM MDT

Not to worry.
      August 1, 2020 9:15 AM MDT

Thank you E. I appreciate that more than you know. :)
      August 1, 2020 9:28 AM MDT

Me too Ele - depression - though fortunately mine i not bi-polar and I've finally learned to overcome it.

I think those statistics for depression and mental illness are similar all over the modern world.
    There's something about overly materialist values that is seriously bad for psychological and social health.
      August 2, 2020 8:07 AM MDT

I have to be medicated. What I have is not controllable.
      August 2, 2020 8:11 AM MDT