Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Why only 99.999999 % disintectant? Kills virus up to that. WHY NOT 100%? Why the glitch?

Why only 99.999999 % disintectant? Kills virus up to that. WHY NOT 100%? Why the glitch?

Posted - August 6, 2020

Responses

When there are millions of cells in a petri dish, I imagine there will always be a few that aren't killed by the official dosage.
    Sure, if you filled the petri dish full of the chemical, it would probably kill all the virus cells.  But that wouldn't represent the actual amount of chemical in the consumer solution.
      August 6, 2020 12:46 PM MDT

Here's the thing. How is anyone gonna know? 99.99999 and 100 is as close as you can get. Could it possibly kill 100%? Why  not go big? I'm just playing around of course. It amuses me that "they" all follow the same schtick. Never 98% or 95% or 96.5 %! Always 99.9999999. SIGH. Thank you for your reply Walt! Could you guarantee me anything 100%? If so wouldja? I gotta ask. This post was edited by RosieG at August 7, 2020 4:21 AM MDT
      August 6, 2020 1:12 PM MDT

Some of it is probably due to CYA-itis.
    For that 1 instance where somebody gets sick and sues them, they could claim they never said it works 100%.

Other than below a certain level of math - I don't know if I'd be willing to guarantee anything 100%.
    We can't even guarantee the "constant" of gravity on our own planet.  
      August 6, 2020 1:30 PM MDT

Good point. Gotta leave yourself a little wiggle room. Now can't you guarantee me that two plus two will always equal four? If you try it out in higher math with which I am not familiar does two plus two equal something else? Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 6, 2020 1:35 PM MDT

2female mice + 2 male mice = 4 mice... not for long :)

And the 99% stuff is to sell it.. Ivory Soap is 99.44% pure.. but they do not say pure what.  They could be saying there is no Dove soap, its 99.44% pure Ivory soap.
      August 6, 2020 3:31 PM MDT

Unless they are of the same sex or sterile.

As for your questioning of PURE WHAT that is what gives me them wiggle room m'dear. It is up to you to fill in the blank as it were. We assume they mean pure soap pure ingredients but of course it could be pure crap pure junk pure bits and pieces of rejected materials for other use. Theysold a lot of soap letting us fill in the blank. Thank you for your reply Marice and Happy Friday to thee and thine! STAY SAFE! :)
      August 7, 2020 4:13 AM MDT

Because if they say it kills 100% and later it’s found out that it doesn’t kill 1 bug (out of countless billions), they will be sued for false advertising.  And that’s very costly.

Then there’s marketing.  Two identical products sit side by side on the shelf.  One claims it kills 95% of all germs, while the other claims it kills 99.9% of all germs.  Which product do you think customers will buy?  “Extra strength”, “heavy duty”, “free”, “bonus”, “double” … these are just a few of the words that advertisers put on their products to entice customers to purchase their product over their competitors.  Color, smell, shape, wording, font size, product placement in a store … These are but a few of the numerous tactics advertisers use to get you to buy a certain product (and they work!).

August 6, 2020 1:37 PM MDT

They also rely on us to fill in the blanks. Maurice brings up Ivory Soap. It's claim to be 99 and something % PURE. He asks "PURE WHAT?" We don't know but we assume that's better than impure. And so it goes. We are co-conspirators. Thank you for your reply Shuhak and Happy Friday! :) STAY SAFE!
      August 7, 2020 4:16 AM MDT

Anything that claims 100% would be suspect immediately.

Even without the legal fears nothing can be guaranteed to that extent.

It should also be remembered that the claims for any manufactured item or material are based on ideal conditions of use, in laboratories. The claim may be correct, but conditions of use by the customer are beyond the manufacturer's control, and sometimes they will say that.
      August 6, 2020 3:41 PM MDT

Do they even know of what they speak Durdle? What kinds of test do they make to determine that? Get a 100% infected something...wash it with ivory soap..test it again and measure the impurity or the purity? They don't have to show us their data do they? They just tell us what they want us to believe and we believe it. SIGH. Thank you for your reply Durdle and Happy Friday! :)
      August 7, 2020 4:18 AM MDT

All of the above.
      August 6, 2020 5:48 PM MDT

Ditto to everything? Thank you for your reply E and Happy Friday to thee and thine. :) Sad about deWine. Hope it's a mild case but he is in his 70's and I believe has some kind of underlying health problem. Fingers crossed it's not too bad.
      August 7, 2020 4:23 AM MDT

Covering their a$$es. One of those germs could have been working out and be strong enough to survive it.
      August 7, 2020 3:07 AM MDT

So how much harm could it do R? Something is 99.99% safe. How deadly can that other .001% be? One rotten apple spoils the entire barrel? Thank you for your reply m'dear. I guess CYA is the basic law of survival. :)
      August 7, 2020 8:27 AM MDT