Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Former First Lady Michelle Obama admits she suffers from depression now. Is that another downside of being highly intelliegent?

Former First Lady Michelle Obama admits she suffers from depression now. Is that another downside of being highly intelliegent?

Because they are so much more astute? I'm not suffeing from depression at all. Sure some days I get kinda down but then I just withdraw from the political sh** that is ongoing and I'm fine. I think highly intelligent people maybe can't do that.

They also suffer from a higher rate of suicide.

Sad that.

Posted - August 7, 2020

Responses

While having higher intelligence doesn’t necessarily contribute to the development of mental illness, people with higher intelligence do have a greater likelihood to have mental illnesses (depression, anxiety).

Having higher intelligence doesn’t guarantee success or happiness (there’s a link between high intelligence and lower levels of life satisfaction).  Highly intelligent people usually have a tendency towards excessive worry, self-criticism, existential angst, and hopelessness, as well as a distorted (usually negative) worldview.  Sometimes, highly intelligent people can develop a dissociative personality disorder.  Meaning, they see their lives from the outside, but without feeling like they’re fully a part of it. These factors make ideal conditions for depression.   

August 7, 2020 12:52 PM MDT

I was surprised that she of all people would suffer from depression. Why? I guess because when I think of her I think of her always being so upbeat energetic and positive. A golden child as it were. Beautiful intelligent accomplished with a super nifty personality. What we see on the outside isn't necessarily reflective of what's going on on the inside. Of course when her husband was President our existence and experience was 180 degrees different. And then she is African American which lends another dimension to it that I can't know. I think it was a very good thing for her to share that though for others who may be going through similar things. I get down but not down down down and when I do I bounce right back...sometimes even "better" than before which to say more hopeful. I think I'm just plain lucky Shuhak. What else explains it? My sister is like that too. Optimistic hopeful that things will be better. The way the DNA combines controls our entire lives! Thank you for your thoughtful reply.! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 8, 2020 11:49 AM MDT
      August 8, 2020 3:29 AM MDT