Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Language » Do people in the South (of the US) really say “tote” in reference to carrying a baby i.e. pregnancy?

Do people in the South (of the US) really say “tote” in reference to carrying a baby i.e. pregnancy?

:(

Posted - August 7, 2020

Responses

Not sure, but on a related tangent, people in Jamaica and other Caribbean lands say "carry" in reference to accompanying others to events and places, ie "I'm going to carry my wife to church on Sunday."
      August 7, 2020 9:43 PM MDT

I’m familiar with that concept, Stu, as part of the Black community among people from the South. The first time that I offered one of my cousins “a lift” in my car, I had to say it to him two or three times before he understood what I meant. He said, “Oh, you mean carry me!”  Countrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyy. 

~

August 7, 2020 10:52 PM MDT

August 8, 2020 7:39 AM MDT

I have never heard that term used to mean transporting a baby prior to birth.  Never.  In any state. 
      August 8, 2020 6:16 PM MDT

I had not heard of it before either until about a month ago.  A woman in her 50s from Georgia is on a TV show and she uses it regularly in reference to whether she can get pregnant or if her adult daughter is willing to act as a surrogate.  Every time I hear her say it again and again, it's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.  It appears to be a colloquialism restricted to her region, to her family, or just something she says herself.

~
      August 8, 2020 7:30 PM MDT

Maybe she's won ob dem Appalachians.  I can't stand the tight polyester clothes that pregnant women wear these days either.  It's horrible times 1,000. 

Horrible:

Attractive:

These women are not toting babies. 
      August 8, 2020 9:49 PM MDT

I have a similarly negative opinion of modern-day “wedding” gowns: far too much skin showing.

:( 

August 9, 2020 2:41 AM MDT

Today's young people (many of them) were never exposed to the real traditional, meaningful, and truly lovely activities around engagement, weddings, and childbirth.  For them today it is their one opportunity to pretend to be holllywood stars and produce a show.  It is one of the saddest commentaries of our time. 

I wish that wishing would bring back the strong, stable, committed nuclear family.  It's demise is one of the top goals of marxists.  It is not hard to understand why. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at August 9, 2020 8:40 PM MDT
      August 9, 2020 6:33 PM MDT

yore rite ¡

August 9, 2020 8:40 PM MDT

• I'm in a southern state but have never heard that expression. Maybe it's a deep south thing. 
      August 10, 2020 7:41 AM MDT