Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Would it be ILLEGAL to drive a car in England with the Driver's Seat on the left?

Would it be ILLEGAL to drive a car in England with the Driver's Seat on the left?

Posted - August 9, 2020

Responses

It's legal in Australia but you need a permit, a special license and "LEFT HAND DRIVE VEHICLE" must be prominently displayed on the rear. I'd assume that the UK has similar rules.
      August 9, 2020 2:36 AM MDT

So if you are an obscenely wealthy zillionaire with "a place" in Australia you can ship your fancy dancy automobile there and drive it. Good. Makes sense though I expect you'd get some very weird stares, shaking fists and even hear epithets. Mebbe not. Mebbe Aussies are too polite to do "the American" thing! Thank you for your reply R :)
      August 9, 2020 2:42 AM MDT

Classic cars are an expensive hobby but enthusiasts don't drive them every day. You don't need to be a billionaire, but you do need a fair bit stacked by. There are clubs, and cruises, and various events.
      August 9, 2020 2:49 AM MDT

I worked for a wealthy couple and he collected BIG cars. He had a warehouse near our work and one time I happened to be with them when he stopped to check something out. Every car was HUGE. Like a tanker. I guess there was a special kind of car he fancied like the old Cadillacs or Lincolns or Towncars. He'd have them shipped from different states. It was amazing. I expect their value increased over time but I don't think that was the reason for his collection. If you could indulge in collecting something with money being no object R what would it be? I think I shall ask. Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 9, 2020 2:55 AM MDT
      August 9, 2020 2:54 AM MDT

No, though it would not be very easy.

We don't have any special regulations covering LHD cars although certain large vehicles like some makes of mobile crane are left-hand drive, and these sometimes carry warning signs.  I don't know if they need to do so though.

It is necessary not to be too prescriptive over this in the UK and Europe thanks to the very large numbers of goods and private vehicles driving between the British Isles and the Continent, via several ferry routes and (for cars) the Channel Tunnel.

At harvest-time it is common to see combine-harvesters on rural roads, with the cutter unhitched and carried on a trailer - these have the driving-seat in the centre, as on a farm tractor.
      August 10, 2020 12:07 PM MDT