Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I presume you buy NATURAL Peanut Butter without hydrogenated oils. DO YOU REFRIGERATE IT?

I presume you buy NATURAL Peanut Butter without hydrogenated oils. DO YOU REFRIGERATE IT?

Posted - August 9, 2020

Responses

Nope, I buy that junk in a jar.  That natural stuff just doesn’t have a good taste to it (but I kept it refrigerated until it got rancid).

August 9, 2020 3:53 PM MDT

We buy Peter Pan Creamy Honey peanut butter. Do not refrigerate it...just makes it hard to spread.

The natural stuff is a pain having to mix it all the time. And does not taste as good. This post was edited by my2cents at August 10, 2020 4:01 AM MDT
      August 9, 2020 4:56 PM MDT

So you don't mind eating partially hydrogenated oil then? Raising bad cholesterol levels, lowers good cholesterol levels. Contains TRANS FATS which cause heart attacks, strokes and are linked to Diabetes 2.

Different strokes m2c. Good luck with that.
      August 10, 2020 4:02 AM MDT

Both my and my husbands numbers are good. 
      August 10, 2020 4:10 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply m2c. At least you know what you are eating and what harm could come to you and your children. Maybe not now but later. Your choice. :(
      August 10, 2020 7:32 AM MDT

MAY contain trans-fats in small quantities. Cis fats predominate.
      August 10, 2020 7:25 AM MDT

"Cis fats"? Vass iss diss?
      August 10, 2020 7:32 AM MDT

It is the placement of the hydrogen on the double bonds. Trans clumps more readily the cis.

August 10, 2020 7:37 AM MDT

So the advantage of CIS is that it is less clumpable? Is that a scientific term? Thank you for the info E. The fact that they are IDENTICAL except for one teeny tiny itsy bitsy thingy but makes all the difference between healthy and not is staggering to me. Such is the stuff life is made up of. Teeny tiny itsy bitsy differences. Yikes. Gadzooks. Good Grief. My Goodness. :)
      August 10, 2020 7:40 AM MDT

So fats are good and needed. 
    Stay away from Saturated Fat and Trans Fat
    The other Fats are the good fats that Lower Cholesterol and help move our vitamins in our body. 

I just looked up
    Peter Pan Nat vs Peter Pan Honey Roasted.

Nat 17g fat
    3.5 g Sat
    O Trans

pP Honey
    16g Fat
    3.0 sat
    Og trans

So Nat has 1 more gram good fat and .5g more of Sat fat (bad) than the reg PP honey. 

I do not which is considered better healthwise. But I will stick with Reg PP Honey.

August 10, 2020 8:00 AM MDT

1.  Does anyone here know what 'hydrogenated oils' are?
    2.  Are they bad for you?
    3.  I eat a store brand that is quite good and not 'junk' as some would say.
    4.  It is not necessary to refrigerate it. This post was edited by Element 99 at August 10, 2020 3:25 AM MDT
      August 9, 2020 5:27 PM MDT

Ever open a can of solid CRISCO? You know that thick white stuff some folks use to fry stuff in? That is HYDROGENATED. Would you eat it? Should you eat it? Could you eat it? We haven't eaten anything with HYDROGENATED or PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED oils in DECADES. It clogs your body and is not good for your heart. Why indulge in something that is so bad for you? For years I read labels because my son was allergic to some things. Got in the habit of it. Then I'm always interested in what the findings are about the foods we eat. GMO foods I try to avoid. GENERTICALLY MODIFIED ORGANISMS. They don't know what they will do the body in the long term. You will see labels stating "NO GMO". That's what we buy. AS for peanut you don't have to refrigerate? There are natural oils in peanut butter made of peanuts. To stablize the product manufactuers add hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils. That way it stays soft enough to spread and does not require refirgeration. Why? Because the added fat has been tampered with so it will NEVER go bad. You could eat a jar of peanut butter 5 years old and not die. Personally I like to put PURE foods in my body whenever possible. That is why I read all labels. No foods with a numbered food dye either. Some of them are carcinogenic. Who needs food dye when natural foods like carrots and beets bring color. If you read labels you will find some things of color ARE colored from beet juice and carrot juice. What you eat you are E. It either helps promote good health or sabotages it. Whatever is important to you to do you will do. Enuff of taht soapbox. You're a big boy. You eat what you want. Good luck! Thank you for your reply. If your store brand has hydrogenated oil or partially hydrogenated oil it it IS JUNK. To me. Not to you. That's fine. Different strokes.
      August 10, 2020 3:33 AM MDT

You presume wrong - I don't buy that gundge at all. Maureen gets it for herself and the grandkids. I have no idea whether it's organic or not and care less. I hate PB.
      August 9, 2020 9:18 PM MDT

Why R? So you don't like peanuts at all? Peanut brittle, peanut butter cookies, peanut butter ice cream? Jim is a huge fan and I like it too. So as a kid you never ate it or you ate a lot of so you can't stand it now? Of course tastebuds are different. Dd you know there is a chocolate ice cream with peanut butter running through? It's really good if you like that kind of thing. Do you like any kind of nut butter? How about almond butter? Anyway different strokes. I never heard the word "gundge" but I expect it is not complimentary. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday m'dear to thee and thine! STAY SAFE! :) I'm gonna ask if there is any popular food folks hate. You inspired the question.
      August 10, 2020 1:30 AM MDT

I like almonds and I'm gluttonous about cashew and macadamia nuts, making butter out of them is a waste of time and good nuts. I've never been able to stand peanuts, either as butter or anything else. I'm not allergic, the taste makes me gag.

August 10, 2020 2:42 AM MDT

That is not GAGGING that is BARFING green bile. Did you ever barf green bile? Now grinding nuts and making them into a spread suits some folks to a T me being one of them. Toast a piece of raisin bread. Spread your favorite nut butter thereon. Top if off with a thin spreading of Nutella! I might just do that a bit later. Cashews taste tasty but they are of virtually no food value. I'd stick to the macadamias and also the almonds which are very nutritious as well as WALNUTS. Might as well get as much cluck for your buck nutritionally as you can. So I guess you hate Reese's Peanut Butter cups? I have seen them in the DARK CHOCOLATE version! Mighty tasty. Thank you for your reply R  Also very nutritious are Pepitas (pumpkin seeds roasted and salted) as well as sunflower seeds. :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 10, 2020 2:58 AM MDT
      August 10, 2020 2:56 AM MDT

Fully hydrogenated oils contain no trans-fats. Therefore, peanut butter with fully hydrogenated fats cause no harm.

Here is the nutritional chart for cashews:

Amount Per
    1 oz (28.4 g)
    Calories 157
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 12 g 18%
    Saturated fat 2.2 g 11%
    Polyunsaturated fat 2.2 g
    Monounsaturated fat 7 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 3 mg 0%
    Potassium 187 mg 5%
    Total Carbohydrate 9 g 3%
    Dietary fiber 0.9 g 3%
    Sugar 1.7 g
    Protein 5 g 10%
    Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 1% Iron 10%
    Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 5%
    Cobalamin 0% Magnesium 20%

Here is the nutritional chart for peanuts. Note the fat content.

Here are the nutrition facts for 3.5 ounces (100 grams) of raw peanuts:

Calories: 567.
    Water: 7%
    Protein: 25.8 grams.
    Carbs: 16.1 grams.
    Sugar: 4.7 grams.
    Fiber: 8.5 grams.
    Fat: 49.2 grams. Saturated: 6.28 grams. Monounsaturated: 24.43 grams. Polyunsaturated: 15.56 grams. Omega-3: 0 grams. Omega-6: 15.56 grams. Trans: 0 grams.

August 10, 2020 7:24 AM MDT