Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » I'm hoping we've all seen the original NCIS. Why do you think this show was so popular and can you relate to any of the characters?

I'm hoping we've all seen the original NCIS. Why do you think this show was so popular and can you relate to any of the characters?

Posted - August 9, 2020

Responses

I relate to Gibbs. He thinks like me.
      August 9, 2020 12:32 PM MDT

This is what I pictured as well.
    :) :)
    Thanks Element!!
      August 11, 2020 4:58 PM MDT

I’ve never seen the show NCIS, so this question is no fair for me. 
      August 9, 2020 1:18 PM MDT

That's o.k.  I'm still appecitive you answered.
    It was a show that was extremely popular starting in 2003.
    It was built around murder mysteries that a naval criminal team solved.  The characters of this show were very distinct and brought different dynamics to the mystery-solving team.
    I asked this question because I know many people who can relate to this era and the armed forces.
    I happen to like the show very much.  It was so popular they made a spin off or two that are placed in cities other than Washington DC. 
    If you are still feeling confined from the pandemic and care to watch an hour of TV, you may be able to catch a rerun.
    I do and still enjoy them.
    Thanks again for responding.

August 11, 2020 5:10 PM MDT

I've been watching it since its inception.  However, the past couple of years haven't been as interesting as before.  Most of the really interesting characters have been replaced and not always with someone to whom I've taken a liking.  I was a major Ziva fan, loved Mike Franks, came to like the Reeves character who lasted about a minute and a half, loved Fornell, Abbey, DiNozzo, Palmer and Ducky.  I am not all a fan of Bishop and Kasie - they are terrible actresses who have pretty much ruined the show for me.  I can take or leave Wilmer Valderrama and Jack Sloane, who is now out of the cast.  
      August 9, 2020 2:03 PM MDT

I agree a million plus one percent!
    When we started watching the reruns, they all had Ziva.  Just recently, we were able to tape the seasons with Kate.
    It was great writing, in my opinion, the way they put Ziva in Kate's position. The fact that Ziva had to shoot her own brother and the politics behind the scenario, not to mention the emotional tears it created were fantastic.
    I like the Ziva character.  The actress that played her, well, her selfish actions at the awards ceremony left a bitter taste in my mouth.
    Your thoughts on all the others are "Spot On" with me!!
    I feel the same way.  You gave a lovely nod of kindness and taste in all the characters and their roles.
    I'm not a big fan of the people that took their places.  I have tollerence for "Ellie," but that is about all.
    They don't have that charisma the Gibbs, DiNozzo, McGee, Ziva, Ducky, Palmer, and definitely, Abbey had.
    Those actors had the drive to make it believable and seemed to have fun on and off screen.
    I miss that magic.
    We have stopped watching because it is reaching.
    We didn't ever think Wilmer Valderrama or Jack Sloane were well cast.  It has lost what it was meant to be.
    I wish they would stop trying.  They needed to stop while they were on top with the characters and actors they had to portray them.
    I agree.  
    A very very very AP to you, too!

August 11, 2020 5:42 PM MDT

Excellent post.  I can't stand Ellie at all.  I don't know what the writers were thinking when they created her character.  Maybe if she was a better actress it wouldn't seem so contrived, but she isn't and she has an odd manner of speaking.  Oh, well, maybe they will get rid of her when her contract is up and she can take Kasie with her, :)  Have a  great day. :)

P.S.  At this point, my current favorite is NCIS Los Angeles.  I think the cast works really well together and I hope they remain that way.  I love the relationship between Callan and Sam and I absolutely, positively adore Hettie.   This post was edited by SpunkySenior at August 12, 2020 8:42 AM MDT
      August 12, 2020 5:06 AM MDT

~

August 12, 2020 7:22 AM MDT

Shhhh.
    YOU were one of the reasons I asked...
    Big Happy Smiles!
      August 11, 2020 5:49 PM MDT

JAG got me hooked ... and NCIS was a spin-off.
      August 10, 2020 1:20 PM MDT

You are exactly right!  I was going to leave that fact out.  I've always found Mark Harmon nice to watch for an hour.  More so than the actors on JAG.
    ;) :)
      August 11, 2020 5:17 PM MDT

I've never really watched it.
      August 10, 2020 1:21 PM MDT

It's o.k. Stu.  I normally don't promote TV watching.  It happened to be on at that moment and I DO enjoy it.
    We have all of the originals taped. 
    It is and was a sick addiction. 
    I didn't watch it when the series was popular.  I tend to do that with the TV.  This way, I can pick when to watch it, to skip parts I don't like, and enjoy the whole TV experience a little more.
    I'm not a big TV fan.  I need to watch it by my rules.
      August 11, 2020 5:27 PM MDT

I have seen every episode except this past season and they are recorded.
      August 11, 2020 5:44 PM MDT

I hope it doesn't insult you.
    I care and am appreciative of all you have given.
    You are a hero in my mind and my life.
    I believe you DID give your heart, soul, life, and being so I can live in the luxury I do today.
    Thank you.
    You, are the real.  In "Hollywood world," it is fun you look like Mark Harmon!
    Lots of great wishes for a grand day. 
      August 12, 2020 8:25 AM MDT

I am responding from my perspective as a multi-tour (more than a decade) Marine Corps veteran.

Any television shows or movies about the US military receive an extremely scrutinizing and critical eye from me for their balance of authenticity vs Hollywoodization. As far as ratings go, the average producer, executive producer, director, continuity controller, costume director, casting director, stunt coordinator, screenwriter, scriptwriter, entertainment historian, fluffer, makeup artist, actress, actor, stuntman, stuntwoman, etc. will always torpedo the former to uphold the latter.  I do understand that no production has to be or should be 100% authentic nor even 60% authentic as far as depictions of the military. However, when they are TOO Hollywood fir for me, in I am immediately turned off, and that’s what I do: turn them off.  As such, they only have about one or two of the first episodes of a tv series and the first twenty minutes or so of a movie to impress me. 

The NCIS (Naval Criminal Investigative Service) television series franchise spun off from the JAG (Judge Advocate General) television series. When both of the shows were first announced, I was originally excited and looked forward to their pilots. After watching them, however, that enthusiasm quickly turned to disappointment due to their overall unrealistic portrayals of the military service, military personnel, military protocols, military life, everything. I was not able to hang in as a fan, way too Hollywood for my tastes. 

DISCLAIMER: prior to anyone admonishing me for having an opinion with which you may disagree, or anyone who finds fault with my reasoning for how I arrived at my opinion, please keep in mind that you also make personal decisions and form your own opinions about things based on what you find important.  You have things that you like and do not like, just as I do.  I will not make any attempt to change your mind on this topic, and no amount of opposition to me will make me change mine.  Thank you.

~

This post was edited by Randy D at August 12, 2020 9:48 AM MDT
      August 11, 2020 5:57 PM MDT

I am a little confused with emotions.
    Sweetie, it is "just" a TV show.  These people make a living portraying images basic society want to believe.
    It is unfortunate that they believe more on TV than what really happens out there.
    No one knows the cruelty of war, unless you have served and have actually seen a dead person.  More to the point "felt" the trauma.

These are people, written to do a play that we put on a screen in our living rooms.

I never wanted to take away the what has happened to you.  I have never fought a war but I know about them more intimately than most.
    That point is not important.
    Hollywood will be Hollywood.

Make believe is a great place to be when reality is too much to take.

Thank God for Hollywood.

This post was edited by Merlin at August 12, 2020 8:30 AM MDT
      August 12, 2020 8:18 AM MDT

But Merlie, I’m well aware that it’s just a tv show, and like I already stated, I know it doesn’t have to be accurate. Personally for my tastes, it’s not something I want to watch. No matter how much a show is liked by other people, if you don’t want to watch it, your opinion of it is what you go by. I’m sure you don’t watch/like every single show that I watch/like, and your reasons for that decision process are your own.

~

August 12, 2020 8:29 AM MDT

There is "the" understanding we both share.
    I am Never one to take away or place judgement on a person and their choices in life.
    You also share that thought; therefore, there will never be a battle among us.
    Hugs and Loves, Always!

August 12, 2020 8:36 AM MDT

August 12, 2020 8:53 AM MDT

I agree 100%. I find it fun to nit-pick those shows, but it really annoys my wife. I used to love tearing apart Abbie's lab and her phony equipment and bad chemistry. Even the great Dr. Mallard made a gross error. This is due to poor writing by amateurs, with little or no editing or consulting. However...I still watch them.
      August 12, 2020 9:53 AM MDT

;) :)!!

I Do love Ducky!  Not only for his name but his whole UNCLE persona!
      August 12, 2020 11:47 AM MDT

He was THE MAN...
      August 12, 2020 3:09 PM MDT

;):)!
    With so many great stories and a great judge of character...
    even After the person was dead!
    ;) :) !!
      August 13, 2020 3:21 PM MDT