Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » You are starving to death and the only food available is the one food you hate. Do you eat it or die? Which food by the by?

You are starving to death and the only food available is the one food you hate. Do you eat it or die? Which food by the by?

Posted - August 10, 2020

Responses

I am not very good at eating food I dislike. 
      August 10, 2020 8:23 AM MDT

Me too neither but if I don't eat it I die. Of course I could try to eat it but I might just not be able to keep it down. For me it would be raw meat or raw fish or raw poultry. The thought of it gags me. BUT dying gags me worse. Thank you for your reply m2c! :)
      August 10, 2020 8:26 AM MDT

I think we'd all eat it.. even if we hated it, if we were genuinely starving. I really hate so-called novelty foods like beetles, crickets, spiders, and snails.. I find it abhorrent that people offer these as a gimmick as in would you dare eat this. .why bother, is my question! 

I'd not be keen to eat rat or dog/cat either... I suspect I'd try really, really hard to find alternatives!
      August 10, 2020 11:45 AM MDT

Know what I saw years ago in a hoity toity upscale imported foods market? Canned chocolate-covered ANTS. I promise you I am NOT joking! That appalled me. I did see a program once years ago that had a guest who was promoting the high protein content of insects. I know. Really weird. I watched a bit and then moved on. I cannot imagine cooking roaches or maggots or spiders or other creepy crawly things for the PROTEIN content. On the other hand people eat what they grow being fed. ROAD KILL doesn't call to me but I think lots of country folk have eaten it and survived. Why Granny in the TV show "Beverly Hillbillies" cooked roadkill all the time and they did just fine. In middle-eastern countries I have heard that sheep eyeballs are a delicacy and it it highly rude/impolite to refuse to eat them. It is an insult. I think throwing up what you eat would be a bigger insult but that's just me. Thank you for your reply Addb! :)
      August 11, 2020 5:43 AM MDT

Beets!  I’d really have to be starving to eat beets (gross!, yuck!, gag!).  However, if I were really starving, I’d somehow manage to choke them down… and be thankful that I even had those.

When push comes to shove, we’d be surprised at what we’d really do.   Eat gross food (beets, zucchini, chicken feet), drink urine, walk many miles….  There are millions of people in the world who would love to have even a taste of what we consider yucky.  They’re meal consists of bugs and polluted water – if even that much.  (Hmmm... I wonder how could send them these beets?)

August 10, 2020 2:53 PM MDT

My mom made the best PICKLED BEETS Shuhak. She'd put vinegar and crushed garlic in a brine of their own juice and chill it. We used them mostly as a sidedish like Kimchee or pickles or saurkraut. It was delicious. I do not remember ever eating them unpickled and hot. They were always pickled and served cold. They even have canned pickled beets at the market. If you are a fan of pickles you may be able to tolerate them better served that way. Now I have never cooked them. I just buy the canned pickled ones. We eat them rarely, I think my dad LOVED them! My sis and I liked them a lot. We always ate up what we served. Thank you for your reply.
      August 11, 2020 5:48 AM MDT

My dad grew them in the garden.  We too ate what we were served.  It just took some of us longer than others (note: collie dogs won't eat beets).
      August 11, 2020 9:38 PM MDT

That's way too cute Shuhak. I just "saw" Lassie in my mind's eye pushing the avocado under the dish. Did your mom or dad ever pickle them? I honest don't know what hot unpickled beets taste like. I've never had borscht (sp?). Isn't that a beet soup served with sour cream? Thank you for your reply Shuhak. The way a food is prepared makes all the difference don't you think? :)
      August 12, 2020 2:27 AM MDT

Lassie, the real name of my 100% collie dog, wouldn’t even sniff at a beet.  They were beneath her. 

I’ve never had pickled beets.  I can handle pickles, but just the name beet turns me off.

Yes, Borscht is beet soup.

August 12, 2020 2:33 PM MDT

I think if you have a very bad experience with a food it's hard to overcome it. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      August 13, 2020 5:05 AM MDT