Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Some random facts about the International Space Station--the actual thing, not me.

Some random facts about the International Space Station--the actual thing, not me.

Just some numerical facts about it. It orbits at an inclination of 51.6 degrees. That means that if you're in between 51.6 degrees north and south, it is possible for you to see it directly above you. 200km (124mi) more and you'll be able to see it, just not directly above you. Close to the poles, it's impossible to see it. It makes an orbit once every 92 minutes. You can easily see it passing above you with your naked eye if you know where and when to look. Use heavens-above.com or Spot The Station to find out where it is in your sky! Heavens-Above is for the more astronomically inclined. Spot The Station is for the generic population. It orbits at a height of 400km (249mi), with a slightly elliptical orbit, with the major diameter being 406km(252mi). It orbits at 7.66km/s (4.76mi/s) which is really fast. If you played the song that goes "Well I would walk five hundred miles and I would walk five hundred more," which is 3.5 minutes, the ISS will have actually traveled just about exactly 1000 miles. 

Posted - October 9, 2016

Responses

It passed over my city 5 days ago, but I have seen numerous satellites over the years so it didn't interest me.
      October 9, 2016 8:20 AM MDT

I've seen hundreds, but each satellite I see interests me. :P
      October 10, 2016 8:09 AM MDT