Active Now

Slartibartfast
RebeccaSJ
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Music » What is a song that was outperformed by its music video?

What is a song that was outperformed by its music video?

Posted - August 17, 2020

Responses

I’m going to have to think about this one on my drive home, I will report back later. 
      August 17, 2020 2:17 PM MDT

• I think this song is awesome on its own but I can't listen to it without picturing their faces melting all over the place. 

August 17, 2020 2:33 PM MDT

I’ve seen that scene of crazy lady chopping the fish a million times in gif form, but never new where it came from lol. I like it :) 
      August 17, 2020 5:07 PM MDT

Unfortunately, I have to answer that the first decade of MTV displayed hundreds of videos that fit the bill you propose here. It was said back then that not only were the songs greatly enhanced by their videos, it very quickly got to the point that no song would succeed commercially or even compete with other songs commercially unless it had a video.

Many of very first videos were extremely rudimentary, some were even quite crude and amateurish, but as the competition for recognition and accolades increased, the quality of one’s video(s) has had to increase also. The videos and the production of videos became industries of their own, which in turn required new categories on awards ceremonies. With more awards and more types of awards dangled as bait, the music entertainment business kicked into high gear in response. More money was poured into the videos than the songs themselves, and as an extension of that, songs were being made to fit the videos that got aired with them, instead of the previous model of videos being made to fit the songs. Music fans buzzed more about the latest videos than they did about the music, the tune, the lyrics, the instrumentation, the sound, the singing, the artists, the producers, etc. 

For those of us who were in our youth when MTV was born, it was fresh and new and exciting. Our 1980s were in a large way defined by music videos and music videos were greatly defined by the 1980s. So many of our favorite songs had videos that we knew both the song and the video just as well as each other. That’s why it’s hard to say which song or songs got outclassed by video. Lots of them were; more than 50% of songs that had videos (and that meant most songs period) were known more for the video than for the song alone.

After its first decade, MTV began branching out to other ventures than just music videos 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Its new programming slowly crept further and further away from videos until one day, people openly speculated, “back when MTV used to play music videos”.  An entire generation slipped away from viewership, replaced by the next generation that appreciated the new formats. 

~

This post was edited by Randy D at August 17, 2020 7:53 PM MDT
      August 17, 2020 3:27 PM MDT

• I’m glad I didn’t ask you to share every single one of them. 
      August 17, 2020 7:53 PM MDT

Lol. 

Too many to list, far too many. 

~

August 17, 2020 3:58 PM MDT

Ohhh good one. 
      August 17, 2020 4:57 PM MDT

• Perfect example in my opinion. 

I thought of one!! I can’t believe this didn’t come immediately to my mind earlier... I can watch this on repeat for hours.

August 17, 2020 4:59 PM MDT

• Ugh I used to love this video lol
      August 17, 2020 7:54 PM MDT

Not any longer?
    ~

August 17, 2020 7:55 PM MDT

• I haven‘t acquainted myself with it in recent years on a frequent enough basis to still call it love. The bond was not that strong. 
      August 17, 2020 7:59 PM MDT

Eye sea. 

~

August 17, 2020 7:59 PM MDT

Absolutely everything by Daft Punk. Nobody would listen to it were it not for the fact that the videos are quite good, despite the music being monotonous.
      August 17, 2020 5:03 PM MDT

I agree with Randy pretty much, but the obvious choice, to me, is "Thriller". 
      August 17, 2020 6:06 PM MDT