Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Language » Remember the word "trollop"? What can we do to get that classic back in fashion?

Remember the word "trollop"? What can we do to get that classic back in fashion?

#trollop

Posted - August 17, 2020

Responses

My grandmother, when she was very angry, used the word “hussy”.  It didn’t happen often, and she either tried to keep us (her grandchildren) from hearing her say it or she thought we didn’t hear her say it. At least once or twice it slipped out when I was within earshot, and she didn’t know I had heard it. There was even one occasion that she said it when my cousins and I were right around the corner, and as she turned around and saw us, she became really flustered and apologized profusely, explaining that it was a terrible word and that we should never repeat it. Of Purse course, even then as a young child, I considered it an old-fashioned word that I would never utter for that reason alone. 

~

This post was edited by Randy D at August 18, 2020 6:17 PM MDT
      August 18, 2020 11:18 AM MDT

That's funny!! 

Did she use any other choice words that you weren't supposed to know about? Or was "hussy" her go to swear?

I think you've got a typo up there. Better fix it quick before somebody busts you! 
      August 18, 2020 5:52 PM MDT

(fix it quick quickly)

Thanks for catching my typo; it’s been edited.

My grandmother* was both born approximately 1920 in either Oklahoma, Nebraska or Kansas. She grew up on farms, and her vernacular showed it. A normal part of that type of upbringing and for that part of the country, The Bible Belt, meant that she was devout in our faith, National Baptists. She used a lot of quaint speech overall. 

Faucet on a kitchen or a bathroom sink she called “hydrant”. 

Going to town to a restaurant (ALL restaurants were fancy eating, in her opinion) to get a refreshment was “wetting your whistle”.

When little kids needed to go to the bathroom for Number 1, it was “so you need to tinkle?”

A ne’er-do-well was a “so-and-so”.

Sunday clothing for church was “your finery”.

When it came time to issue corporal “consequences“, she’d say, “let me get my switch”, she’d go to the tree in her front yard and “commence” to “hit the meat, not the bone”.

*Unfortunately, I do not know enough/much of my genealogy.

~

This post was edited by Randy D at August 18, 2020 6:42 PM MDT
      August 18, 2020 6:19 PM MDT

You're one to talk, fixing my quicker "quickLY". 

...both born approximately 1920

I've never heard those states referred to as the "Bible Belt". I've always thought that to be the southeast (minus Florida). I thought those states were part of the "Dust Bowl". Not to be confused with the "Rust Belt". :)

I truly miss hearing my grandparents and parents speak! 
      August 18, 2020 6:28 PM MDT

You’re right about The Bible Belt in general being more associated with the states further south.  There was a corresponding yet lesser-known area populated by Black people that history hardly ever touches on (such as Black cowboys, Black veterans of WWI, the impoverished Black Okies who tried to migrate west during the Great Depression just like their White counterparts, etc.) that has its own extension of The Bible Belt. Throughout many parts of the US, not just the south, segregation of churches was just as rampant as it was in housing, schools, hospitals, jobs, cemeteries, jails, prisons, hotels, entertainment venues, parks, public transportation, almost all aspects of everyday life. As such, on the states that I mentioned above and several other states/territories also, there was a quasi Bible Belt. 

~

August 18, 2020 6:41 PM MDT

Lesser-known and under touched-upon history, for sure! It's incomprehensible to me that anyone can claim that there's no need for Black History Month, or that the version of American History that's taught to American children is something that every American can realistically relate to. 

I do know something about the church segregation. Not surprising, is it? This post was edited by SavvyAnsley at August 29, 2020 7:28 PM MDT
      August 18, 2020 6:52 PM MDT

I think it's so much classier than 'ho' or 'slvt', don't you? 

August 18, 2020 6:11 PM MDT

August 18, 2020 6:19 PM MDT

What?? You don't think it's classier???
      August 18, 2020 6:20 PM MDT

Lol. 

I‘m not much into name-calling whatsoever. 

~

August 18, 2020 6:22 PM MDT

Very good. I'm not into it either. Well, not out loud, anyway. What goes on in my head is nobody else's doggone  beeswax! :P
      August 18, 2020 6:31 PM MDT

Hey, wait a second!  You can’t think about me with that tone of thought, young lady!  Grrrrrrrrrr.

August 18, 2020 6:45 PM MDT

August 18, 2020 6:58 PM MDT

Is this the question I was thinking of? I think this is the one that inspired a separate question... still looking for it. 

It fun looking back at this stuff, especially at the 'high' questions! 

February 10, 2022 7:50 PM MST