Active Now

Randy D
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » HALLELULAH! It's POURING RAIN. It began 5 minutes ago and the temp has already dropped from 108 to 95! OUT OF THE BLUE! What's going on?

HALLELULAH! It's POURING RAIN. It began 5 minutes ago and the temp has already dropped from 108 to 95! OUT OF THE BLUE! What's going on?

Hemet, California reporting.

Are you experiencing WEIRD UNPREDICTED WEATHER TOO?

WHERE ARE YOU?

Posted - August 18, 2020

Responses

That sounds so nice.  Enjoy.

Its oppressive here - hot, muggy and very smoky.

August 18, 2020 6:02 PM MDT

I'm so sorry m'dear. Especially that "smoky" part. It can't be good for your lungs to breathe it in. Well when the rain stopped it did go back up to about 100 but it gave us a respite for about an hour. Now where does surprise rain like that come from Shuhak? Lots of time "they" predict rain for Hemet and we get stiffed. But big rain out of the blue? Does has happen where you live too? Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday to you. STAY SAFE! :)
      August 19, 2020 1:47 AM MDT

Because of all the moisture in the upper atmosphere (monsoon moisture) coupled with the extreme heat, the atmosphere is a bit unstable.  This allows rain cells to form, sometimes “instantly”.  Sometimes these cells can form and dissipate in areas of less than a mile. 

Cells like that happen quite frequently here, especially in the summer with monsoon moisture.   A cloud forms, drops a bit of rain and then vanishes.  It’s quite remarkable to watch.  They can be a small individual cloud, or they can cover most of the sky.

August 19, 2020 9:57 AM MDT

"Monsoon weather" in northern California? Hot and humid then? That's not so hot. How is your environment today with regard to the smoky weather? Thank you for explaining why! Hope your lungs don't pay a price for the fires. Are you still on "possible evacuation" watch? Guv declared a State of Emergency due to the fires in the north and the south and probably in the in-between! Take care Shuhak. What's next?
      August 19, 2020 10:08 AM MDT

Depending on the airflow, some of that moisture does make it up here every summer.

Yes, hot and humid.

The sky was overcast with dense smoke until 8:15 when the sun finally was able to break through the thick blanket of smoke.    There was no sunrise.   It’s been raining fine ash all morning.    

They lifted the evacuation warning for this particular area at 9 last night.  My sisters’ area is still under mandatory evacuation. 

August 19, 2020 11:45 AM MDT

Oh my gosh. You know how bad that air is for you to breathe don't you? Oh my gosh. Condolences. Yesterday when we went out to Winco we came home smelling of smoke. Our southern fires are doing the same thing to our air down here but I'm pretty sure you up north are suffering much more. What else Shuhak? Earthquakes next? Gadzooks! Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 21, 2020 12:31 PM MDT
      August 21, 2020 12:29 PM MDT

Great. Cheers!
      August 18, 2020 6:28 PM MDT

It was an awesome surprise Nanoose! Of course once the rain stopped the temp began to creep up again but it didn't so high. It got back up to 100. Ever get a surprise out-of-the-blue totally unexpected rain like that? I wonder what causes it and why it's seemingly unpredictable? Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday to thee and thine! STAY SAFE! :)
      August 19, 2020 1:41 AM MDT