Active Now

Reverend Muhammadovsky
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » If Mormon families are bound together for the afterlife, what happens when one of them is bad? Do they all go to hell?

If Mormon families are bound together for the afterlife, what happens when one of them is bad? Do they all go to hell?

Do we have any LDS Muggers? How does the whole binding of the family thing work? Does it keep the family together totally, so they all go to heaven or they all go to hell or does it just mean that the ones who go to heaven get to stay together? 

Posted - October 9, 2016

Responses

I don't know the answer but I think (I might be mistaken) that texasescimo is Mormon.  
      October 10, 2016 12:08 AM MDT

I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses, not Mormon. lol This post was edited by texasescimo at October 10, 2016 11:45 PM MDT
      October 10, 2016 3:10 AM MDT

Close enough.

LOL! (Put down that flamethrower.  I'm just yanking your chain.)
      October 10, 2016 12:45 PM MDT

lol
      October 10, 2016 2:02 PM MDT

I never say things about other members and was afraid I might be wrong.  Do you know who is Mormon?  I know I've interacted here with.  I'm glad I didn't insult you or anything. 
      October 10, 2016 2:29 PM MDT

Thank you Thriftymaid. I haven't run into any Mormons on answermug, but several on answerbag.
      October 10, 2016 5:13 PM MDT

Yeah, that could be it.  I don't remember who they were I just know there have been Mormans in the playground before.  :)
      October 10, 2016 6:01 PM MDT

LOL!

I'm so glad I don't subscribe to the completely absurd doctrine of eternal torment.  I'd feel compelled to answer these questions.
      October 10, 2016 1:06 AM MDT

Eternal conscience torment of inherent immortal souls is not taught in the Bible either so right you are for not subscribing.
      October 10, 2016 3:11 AM MDT

Correct. "The wages of sin is DEATH..."   "The soul that sinneth, it shall DIE..."

And since "all have sinned and have come short of the glory of God," it's safe to surmise that the default fate (i.e., bereft of the redeeming Grace of God through Jesus Christ) of every human soul is DEATH.  Even the doctrine of immortality (of the soul) is false.

I blame King James. :-)

October 10, 2016 12:37 PM MDT

Rom 6:23;Ezek 18:4, even the KJV gets those two right. So clear but not very many understand it. This post was edited by texasescimo at October 10, 2016 2:05 PM MDT
      October 10, 2016 2:04 PM MDT

I suppose it's easier to win converts through stark terror than through the Good News message of redemption.  It's certainly easier to control the masses that way.
      October 10, 2016 2:06 PM MDT

Yup
      October 10, 2016 5:12 PM MDT

I haven't run into any Mormons on answermug since I have been here and I frequent the religion section so I will give my understanding which may not be accurate.
    I am not Mormon so am not sure but from what I understand they believe that if they get sealed together in this life they will remain sealed together in the afterlife. Not sure but likely no fear of that erroneous heinous hell fire doctrine once they are sealed. I suppose that if one mate left the other after being sealed that they may say that somehow that couple was not really sealed or maybe that they will be reunited in the afterlife? Not sure how the sealing is supposed to take place, perhaps a special tabernacle ceremony? Again not sure about any of this but I believe that they can possibly be split between heaven and hell if they turn apostate or do something bad before being sealed?

I found this:
    https://www.mormon.org/faq/topic/family/question/mormon-families

Family members who accept the Atonement of Jesus Christ and follow His example can be together forever through sacred ordinances performed in God’s holy temples. Jesus gave to Peter the power to have things sealed on earth and sealed in heaven (Matthew 16:19). This same sealing power was restored to Joseph Smith. Mormon’s believe that they can be “sealed” or bound together through His power enabling them to live together in eternity.

Edit: also see:  https://www.mormon.org/faq/topic/marriage

Can a husband and wife be together forever? Do Mormons believe that families will live together in heaven?

https://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/content/english/pdf/language-materials/35602_eng.pdf

The Family A Proclamation to the World

This post was edited by texasescimo at October 10, 2016 12:44 PM MDT
      October 10, 2016 3:09 AM MDT

Thank you. I live in Mormonville. The stats say somewhere around 6% of my local population is mormon, but I really think it's much higher. I remember one of my friends growing up was really upset because her dad remarried and the family was resealed with the step mom. My friend was certain it meant she wouldn't see her real mom in heaven. O_o I don't think I ever heard the end result of that, but she reiterated many of the conversations she had with her parents over it. 

Anything that I could find about my question was similar to what you've found. It doesn't really address what happens with sealing if someone chooses not to live a pure life. One of my friends was raised in the mormon church (is no longer mormon) and I asked him and was met with a blank stare. When I pressed for an answer, he just laughed and said "All mormons are good, so they're all going to heaven." lol I guess this is maybe something that a lot of them don't question. 

October 10, 2016 11:54 AM MDT

Ugh!  With so many false/debilitating doctrines floating around, it's easy to see why so many people retreat into atheism out of sheer exasperation (if not disgust). This post was edited by Transquesta at October 10, 2016 3:56 PM MDT
      October 10, 2016 12:43 PM MDT

Guess so, perhaps they aren't supposed to get divorced either?
      October 10, 2016 2:06 PM MDT

I really don't know about that. I know several devout mormons who are divorced due to extenuating circumstances, such as domestic abuse or substance abuse, and they divorced with the blessing of their families. I don't think that would be so if all divorces were frowned upon. I am clearly not an LDS expert, though. :/ We need one here. 
      October 10, 2016 3:58 PM MDT