Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Does breaking any law make you a crook/criminal? Parking in a no parking zone? Parking longer than the meter had money for? A rolling stop?

Does breaking any law make you a crook/criminal? Parking in a no parking zone? Parking longer than the meter had money for? A rolling stop?

Driving 51 miles in a 50 mile speed zone? Changing lanes too frequently? Not signalizing? WHAT?

Posted - August 23, 2020

Responses

I'd be surprised if a minor speeding or parking ticket would make you considered a criminal, unless perhaps you kept wilfully doing it.

If you'd stolen the car then you certainly would be.

"Signalizing?" Not seen that one before! :-) 
      August 24, 2020 3:57 PM MDT

Ever have someone pull right in front of you without signaling the intention? An "accident" waiting to happen. I expect a very strict interpretation would be you follow the letter of the law to a T and if you don't you are a lawbreaker. Does that make you a criminal? Even backing into it seems silly doesn't it compared with all the horrendous goings on around us every day?. Thank you for your reply Durdle and Happy Tuesday! :)
      August 25, 2020 2:54 AM MDT

I am  not a lawyer but obviously some crimes are far worse then others.

If though the driver who cut in caused an accident, he or she might be liable to be charged under the appropriate laws , depending on the severity of the incident.

Oh yes, I have had things like that happen to me, luckily without accidents.  
      August 27, 2020 3:43 PM MDT

My Jim does not swear. I'm the one who does. But one day we were on a freeway and a truck driver cut sharply in front of us and almost took us out. You should  have heard him. It was one of those trucks that ask on the back "how am I doing?" or something. There was a phone number to call which I wrote down and also got the license number. Jim called to report the driver. I don't know what happened thereafter but I have never seen him that furious! Of course we got very scared and I guess that makes you angry too. Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 28, 2020 2:15 AM MDT

If it does, then I'm a criminal. I've exceeded the speed limit. Drank alcohol when I was a minor. Smoked cannabis.
      August 25, 2020 3:05 AM MDT

Ooo-er! I won't tell on  you!
      August 27, 2020 3:40 PM MDT

:):):)
      August 28, 2020 2:19 AM MDT

Let's see count me in bigly for that first one. I do not recall drinking alcohhol when I was a minor. I may have but I just don't remember. I was a "good" girl R. You know the kind. Mousy and quiet. I did take a puff of a cigarette once but I was in my 30's and I was so nervous about it. Nothing happened and I never took another puff.  Weird what we criminalize and what we "elect" as president isn't it? I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday to thee and thine! :)
      August 28, 2020 2:18 AM MDT

Bill Clinton confessed to smoking marijuana, "but I didn't inhale." Yeah, right. So he hit the bong so hard his face melted, but only in fine weather. Or rain. Or snow. But never, ever in hail.
      August 28, 2020 2:58 AM MDT

Remember when Jimmy Carter confessed he "lusted" in his heart? Now why on earth would he say that? I took one puff of a marijuana cigarette years ago R and I DID NOT INHALE. So I know it's possible because I DID IT. Which is why what he said doesn't bother me at all. Been there done that. ONCE. Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 28, 2020 3:01 AM MDT

I think I'm immune. Tried it on a few occasions, didn't get "high" - got the hunger pangs and the lethargy (body-whacked) but my head stayed clear. Like being sunk up to my neck in concrete. Strictly zero squared. So I never made a habit of it.
      August 28, 2020 3:05 AM MDT

It's funny R. I KNOW what alcohol does to my body so I have a comfy limit which I NEVER go over. But a marijuana cigarette? That I don't know. I think as is true with anything different bodies react differently. My very bad experience with inhaling a cigarette when I was 10 (I described it elsewhere on another thread) cured me of ever trying it again. I just don't get the allure. Thank you for your reply. You know what? I can't be hypnotized. I was told it's because deep down I refuse to relinquish control over me to anyone. I wonder if the same thing holds true for you vis a vis immunity to marijuana? Just a thought. I have no clue. I just think smoking is a dirty habit. The stench follows smokers everywhere. It yellows their teeth and stains their fingers. Icky poo yuck! :( It also ages them and makes them wrinkly. What's not to LOVE right? This post was edited by RosieG at August 28, 2020 3:11 AM MDT
      August 28, 2020 3:10 AM MDT