Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » In your estimation who was the GREATEST individual your nation ever produced? Why?

In your estimation who was the GREATEST individual your nation ever produced? Why?

Posted - August 23, 2020

Responses

Howard Florey. Look him up. Alexander Fleming discovered it, but it was Florey who found a way to make practical use of it.
      August 23, 2020 7:58 AM MDT

I will do that right after I post this R. Wasn't Tesla as important or even more important but unsung than Edison? Or am I confusing him with someone else? I know I'm asking you about Americans and you're an Aussie but when did that ever stop me before?  Thanks m'dear! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 23, 2020 8:21 AM MDT
      August 23, 2020 8:00 AM MDT

Tesla honestly didn't care about making money, so his inventions were patented by others. Autistic. Single-minded. He wanted AC power to be free, and almost managed it.
    Edison cared about little else, was not above making minor improvements to the inventions of others then patenting them as entirely his own, and ultimately fought a losing war championing DC as an alternative to AC. The laws of physics brought him undone - resistance to DC is much higher in a conducting medium and loses too much energy in the form of heat to be effective at long distance.
      August 23, 2020 8:09 AM MDT

Know where I first heard the name "TESLA". My first husband was an electrician. And he was the one who told me that Tesla was the real brains and didn't get the credit he was due or deserved. It didn't mean anything to me then. But now? Believe it or not that was way way way way back in 1958! Oh and there was a special I saw I think on the Science channel awhile back. I don't know if it's true but allegedly BOXES of Tesla's formulas and math projects were missing. I guess he had  boxes stuffed with his work and some simply disappeared. Now it could have been a fictionalized account but it did show his extreme endless creativity and how one thought became two became 4 etcetera. I did not know about the Autism. It seems to me that great genius/creativity always has a price tag attached I'm going to ask! Thanks for the conversation R. I LOVE to talk about stuff like this. :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 23, 2020 8:21 AM MDT
      August 23, 2020 8:17 AM MDT

Soleri.
    Paolo Soleri (21 June 1919 – 9 April 2013)[1] was an Italian architect. He established the educational Cosanti Foundation and Arcosanti. Soleri was a lecturer in the College of Architecture at Arizona State University and a National Design Award recipient in 2006. He coined the concept of 'arcology' – a synthesis of architecture and ecology as the philosophy of democratic society.[2] He died at home of natural causes on 9 April 2013 at the age of 93.
     Sagan.

Carl Edward Sagan (/ˈseɪɡən/; November 9, 1934 – December 20, 1996) was an American astronomer, planetary scientist, cosmologistastrophysicistastrobiologist, author, and science communicator. His best known scientific contribution is research on extraterrestrial life, including experimental demonstration of the production of amino acids from basic chemicals by radiation. Sagan assembled the first physical messages sent into space: the Pioneer plaque and the Voyager Golden Record, universal messages that could potentially be understood by any extraterrestrial intelligence that might find them. Sagan argued the now-accepted hypothesis that the high surface temperatures of Venus can be attributed to and calculated using the greenhouse effect.[2]

Alan Alda. Final choice.
    He was named an Honorary Fellow by the Society for Technical Communication in 2014 for his work with the Center for Communicating Science and the annual Flame Challenge.[41]
     Alda would like to use his expertise in acting and communication to help scientists communicate more effectively to the public.[42] In 2014 Alda was awarded the American Chemical Society's James T. Grady-James H. Stack Award for Interpreting Chemistry for the Public for his work in science communication.[43] He was awarded the National Academy of Sciences Public Welfare Medal in 2016 "for his extraordinary application of the skills honed as an actor to communicating science on television and stage, and by teaching scientists innovative techniques that allow them to tell their stories to the public."

This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at August 23, 2020 8:21 AM MDT
      August 23, 2020 8:13 AM MDT