Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Eat everything on your plate or you don't get dessert!" Did your parents ever say those words to you when you were a kid?

"Eat everything on your plate or you don't get dessert!" Did your parents ever say those words to you when you were a kid?

Mine never did. My sister and I always finished everything on our plate. Mom cooked it for us so we would have no reason not to eat what she made. I don't remember her ever serving us food we really disliked. I mean we had favorites of course but never anything disgusting.

What about you?

Do you pull that on your kids? Why? What do you feed them?

Posted - August 24, 2020

Responses

It was more like, “eat what’s on your plate or you’re going to sit there until you do”.   But that’s just because I didn’t like to eat peas (I was a very picky eater).  I’d dawdle during dinner, eating only the few things that I liked, leaving the rest until the end.  Then, when everyone else was leaving, I could “make it go away”.  That didn’t last to long.  So I had to sit there until I finished my dinner (and I still stalled).

Mom wasn’t the greatest cook in the world.  No matter what she cooked, part (or all) of it was always burnt (no smoke alarms in those days).  Many times one couldn’t see across the kitchen because of all the smoke (the good-old tan box fan got a lot of use).  No matter, we had to eat it anyway.  However, if it was too burnt for my dad, then none of us had to eat it (and it rarely was).  Heck, we all knew that if it didn’t have chunks of blackened bits in it, it wasn’t homemade.  (Mom only knew 2 stove settings - high and off.)

Dessert usually was homemade chocolate chip cookies or homemade cobbler (seasonal).  I was never a chocolate lover, but I still ate a few (dad ate the rest).  I’d gag down the peas for some blackberry cobbler…not so much for the cookies (I knew I could just get them the next day).

August 24, 2020 11:24 AM MDT

Your mom sounds adorable. I mean that very sincerely. I'm sure she always did her very best and maybe she cooked the way HER mom cooked so for her that was how you do it. Our mom was a good cook except when it came to vegetables like broccoli. It was always an overcooked grey mass. It didn't taste that bad but there was no eye appeal. Once I started figuring out how to cook it so it stays bright green and a bit crisp well broccoli is my favorite vegetable now. And your dad sounds like a very loving husband. From the outside looking in that's what I see. Thank you for your very lively and informative reply Shuhak. You know I wonder if males are more picky? My son was a picky eater. Maybe it's just coininkydink! Happy Tuesday to you and is your air still virtually unbreathable? I guess our fires this time are maybe the worst in our history. Sigh. STAY SAFE! :)
      August 25, 2020 2:26 AM MDT

There was never a dessert. We ate what mom cooked or went hungry. I never went hungry.
      August 24, 2020 9:34 PM MDT

We very often didn't either except for maybe fruit. We were on rationing so butter and sugar were very rare and scarce. But when "company" was there mom always made her Happy Day Cake. A gold cake in a sheet pan. She'd put sliced bananas on top and then SLATHER it with real from scratch whipping cream. Or she'd make her orange walnut cake. No icing. No need. Those were the days. I never went hungry either until I became a teen and would go on diets. Fortunately I outgrew the need for doing that. Thank you for your reply E and Happy Tuesday to thee. Was your mom a good cook? :)
      August 25, 2020 2:30 AM MDT

She was pretty good for our untrained palates. We didn't know the difference between good and bad. It was just food.
      August 25, 2020 8:14 AM MDT

That sure made it easier on your mom. I remember my mom was a pretty good cook except for killing all green veggies. She thought they were raw unless they turned gray. But otherwise I'd say she was a definitely a solid B! Thank you for your reply E. What if any dish she made do you miss? :)
      August 25, 2020 8:26 AM MDT

"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?"
      August 24, 2020 9:44 PM MDT

You behind the bike sheds! Stand still laddie!
      August 25, 2020 12:14 AM MDT

:):):)
      August 25, 2020 2:32 AM MDT

Well you could have said "Easy. Watch me". But that would have been rude and disrespectful. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday to thee.
      August 25, 2020 2:32 AM MDT

Not a fan of Pink Floyd, I see.
      August 25, 2020 8:15 AM MDT

Right you are ducks! I heard of 'em. Is there a WALL attached to the group? Thank you for your reply E and Happy Tuesday to thee! :)
      August 25, 2020 8:24 AM MDT

Yep. An entire album...'The Wall'
      August 25, 2020 8:55 AM MDT

I don't recall what Pink Floyd sounds like though E. Was/is the group a favorite of yours? Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday to thee and thine! :)
      August 26, 2020 3:59 AM MDT

They are a favourite. Your gen didn't grow up with them as mine did.
      August 26, 2020 7:07 AM MDT

True. But neither did I grow up with GENESIS and I attended a Phil Collins concert once and it was ahighlight of my life. I remember when my son introduced me to Genesis. And FLEETWOOD MAC and Larry Carlton and Donald Fagin and Steve Perry and Sting and Peter Gabriel amd Spyro Gyro and Eric Clapton. Old School introduced me to Tangerine Dream and Dire Straits and Joe Sitriani. I didn't grow up with any of them but I connected with them. Of course if my son had played Pink Floyd I would have know what it sounded like. Remember Christopher Cross? My son played "Sailing" for me once when we were going somewhere in the car together and he said "I think you're going to like this" and it brought me to tears. I have no idea why. SIGH. Thank you for your reply E .It is what it is. I think Steely Dan is my favorite "group" of two and Donald Fagin my favorite vocalist ever. I also like Chicago and Boston. What music did I like? Jazz and classical. Whatever was popular in my time I didn't like. Go figger! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 28, 2020 2:24 PM MDT
      August 28, 2020 11:49 AM MDT