Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Games » Was “Tron” (1982) the very first movie related to or revolving around the popularity of video games?

Was “Tron” (1982) the very first movie related to or revolving around the popularity of video games?

~

Posted - September 9, 2020

Responses

I have no idea. I've never seen that. I remember War Games with Matthew Broderick, though. More computer games than video games, I guess. Never mind. 
      September 9, 2020 5:43 PM MDT

You’re right, you’ve brought up a good point, I had forgotten about that one. I’ve just looked it up and it was released a year later, in 1983.

~

September 9, 2020 8:44 PM MDT

It's not Disney, either. 

September 9, 2020 9:04 PM MDT

What’s your point?
    ~

September 9, 2020 10:03 PM MDT

I thought you didn't care for Disney, or your mother didn't, or something like that. I remember a conversation about Bambi and Old Yeller, and that snot-nosed, whiny little basturd who really was the cause of Yeller's death. 

Ringing any bells? Did I imagine the entire thing? 

September 10, 2020 5:02 PM MDT

Thank you for the clarification about Disney, now I see what you mean, the Disney conglomerate had nothing to do with the movie “War Games”.

It’s true that when I was growing up, my mother was anti-cartoons and anti-Disney. I’ve never understood the first one, but as I entered adulthood and especially when I became a parent myself, I began to see a hidden and insidious side of a way that genre/industry warps young minds.
      One basic Disney tact is (or was) to teach children that the so-called “good guys” were easily recognizable by the fact that they were visually attractive, or pretty, or good-looking, etc. Clear skin, straight teeth, neatly-combed hair, etc.  Conversely, the so-called “bad guys” were also easily recognizable by the fact that they were the polar opposites of the good guys; they were visually unattractive, or ugly, or foul-looking, etc. Warts, scars, bad teeth, deformities, etc. This was further exasperated by the use of color(s) and shade(s), or tones. The lighter the color, the better the character was, the darker the color, the worse the character was.  Plainly put, white was right, dark was not.  This imagery was used even in clothing and costumes, not just skin tones.
      When I had to teach my young children about two important life lessons, respecting others and stranger danger, I was careful to explain that just because someone looks good or looks bad, looks attractive or doesn’t look attractive is not the way to decide if the person is good or bad. 

~

September 12, 2020 7:20 AM MDT

I absolutely agree. 

Beauty and the Beast is a notable exception. Slightly different mental message, there, with the ugly monster turning into a handsome prince thanks to Belle's love. 

I prefer The Rescuers, where all the good guys are animals. :)
      September 12, 2020 7:29 AM MDT

• I do believe you're right...I can't think of anything earlier than Tron.  The year after there was Wargames.  And then the year after that there was The Last Starfighter. 
      September 10, 2020 1:17 PM MDT

If I remember it correctly, wasn’t “The Last Starfighter” just one of the many rip-offs of 1977’s “Star Wars”?
    ~

September 12, 2020 7:26 AM MDT

• Ehhh yea kinda. But it was a fun movie. Makes me nostalgic. 
      September 13, 2020 5:08 PM MDT