Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Communication » When you read a newspaper story, you often see a throwaway line like, "Attorneys did not immediately return messages seeking comment."

When you read a newspaper story, you often see a throwaway line like, "Attorneys did not immediately return messages seeking comment."

Seems to me that that's the same as saying the attorney had no comment or did not comment. Why do the reporters think it's important to tell us that someone didn't reply? If there was no comment, why not simply not mention it at all? Are they afraid that people might think they're somehow being derelict in performing their duties?

Posted - September 10, 2020

Responses

Tricky little bast*rds. 
      September 10, 2020 5:43 PM MDT

That’s a throw-someone-under-the-bus line. Why do you call it a throwaway?

It irks me that the worship-me-or-else “media” makes it seem as if every person on the planet owes them a statement, just to feed their hunger for ratings. People have a right not to respond to anything to which they choose, with the exception of legally-binding responses*. Some dweeb with a microphone or a notepad sticking a bazoo into your face does not have carte blanche to get you to spill your guts.

*One such example is that federal employees being questioned in a federal agency-led or federal interagency-led investigation of wrongdoing about on-duty activities do not have the legal protections of pleading the Fifth Amendment defense.  Failure to respond to questioning in that precise type of investigation is a violation of federal employment regulations that can result in extremely negative consequences, up to and including demotion, termination from position, monetary fines, civil or criminal charges being filed, and/or incarceration.
    ~

September 10, 2020 5:59 PM MDT

You say that's the same as saying "Seems to me that that's the same as saying the attorney had no comment or did not comment."

To you maybe, but that is not an accurate assessment of the situation---there is at least one more option.

You've stopped at "the first level of inference"

Diagramming can't help here---use a decision tree instead.
      September 10, 2020 6:03 PM MDT

I have always looked at it as the media explaining that they attempted to get both sides of the story. It also leaves the possibility that a comment will come at a later date.  In my eyes, there is a difference between not responding prior to the story being made public and never responding or responding with a 'no comment'.
      September 10, 2020 6:39 PM MDT

Reporter at a press conference:

“Miss S, Miss S, over here, please, I’m with The Tilde Times and Sandwich Star News. What can you tell the public about the recent reconciliation you’ve entered into with one Randall D. Randolph, the grammar billionaire who built a mansion for you on one of his many private islands?  Is it also true that a pre-nup is in the works?  Dies Does he really use word games as foreplay, or is that just a nasty rumor? How much were you swayed by his announcement of publishing a tell-all book on the truth behind the years-long battle of your fake restraining orders?  Why have you hidden from the world the fact that you gave birth to a string of love-children you’ve borne for him?  Are you responsible for the disappearances of each and every woman who previously lived in his Harem, all in a jealous rage to keep him all to yourself?  The audio tapes where a woman thanks him for being her warm human blanket on cold northern nights, is that your voice?  Is it true that you used to think he was only after your money? Where are you going?  Come back to the lectern, Miss S, please!  The public has so many more questions!  Wait, please don’t go!  We deserve answers!”
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at September 10, 2020 7:52 PM MDT
      September 10, 2020 7:07 PM MDT

Dies Does he really use word games as....

)
      September 10, 2020 7:12 PM MDT

September 10, 2020 7:17 PM MDT

There is at least one person on this site who has a habit of commenting that she has no comment ...
      September 10, 2020 6:42 PM MDT

I’m sorry, but I cannot respond to that.

~

September 10, 2020 6:51 PM MDT

A spokesman for Pearl did not immediately return a message seeking comment.
      September 10, 2020 7:21 PM MDT

She has spokespeople?  Why don’t I have spokespeople? I need to be explained much more than she does!  Grrrrrrrr.

September 10, 2020 7:23 PM MDT

There is a difference in saying "No Comment" vs did not reply. 

It lets the audience know that the person was given opportunity to respond if they wanted. 
      September 10, 2020 6:48 PM MDT

It seems that your explanation describes the exact same action in both instances, rather than describing a difference in action between them.
    ~

September 10, 2020 7:18 PM MDT

No. Saying "No Comment" is a reply. It is a reply that gives not farther information. 

Just not responding is not a reply of any kind. If I did not post a reply to your post...it would be inaccurate to say I said "No Comment." 

September 10, 2020 7:28 PM MDT

Thank you for the clarification, but “did not reply” denotes that there was something to which a reply was expected, such as having been asked a question, or that an attempt was made to get information from someone.  “No comment” also denotes that such a question was asked or that an attempt was made to get a statement.

~

September 10, 2020 7:49 PM MDT

What is a newspaper?
      September 10, 2020 8:52 PM MDT

What Australians used to wipe our butts with when TP was unavailable due to panic buying by idiots. Lemmings following the masses, not realizing that the "m" was silent.
      September 10, 2020 11:20 PM MDT

It just leaves one with the impression that they did not want to be faced with the question(s) or appear presumptively guilty of some wrong.  It also says the journalist was not negligent in trying to confirm a point or a story or provide the subject the opportunity to respond to the piece. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at September 11, 2020 11:59 AM MDT
      September 11, 2020 11:22 AM MDT