Discussion » Questions » Jobs » What are your best tips for appearing to be legitimately focused while not actually being legitimately focused?

What are your best tips for appearing to be legitimately focused while not actually being legitimately focused?

Posted - September 14, 2020

Responses

Excuse me, what was the question?  I wasn’t paying attention. 

~

September 14, 2020 7:49 AM MDT

• That guy's fingers look unnaturally long. 
      September 14, 2020 7:59 AM MDT

Lol. 

~

September 14, 2020 8:17 AM MDT

Always carry a clip-board and walk around writing remarks on it as if you were doing something important, when, in fact, you are just milling around aimlessly looking like you are busy.
      September 14, 2020 10:47 AM MDT

• That's a good one...I work a desk job and sometimes I'll do something no so dissimilar with Excel and random papers on my desk.  Paired with an agitated shaking of the head. 
      September 14, 2020 1:09 PM MDT

You could confess to me that you were standing over my shoulder 4 years ago in a line at the grocery store and gathering all my personal data. Then you could look at your computer screen with a serious look,  while I yell at you through messages. Your  boss will think you look frustrated and busy, won’t bother you. 

September 14, 2020 1:08 PM MDT

• It was a total success.  I know all of your preferences now.  That's why you buy so much stuff these days.  I'm always subliminally suggesting stuff to pizza you. 
      September 14, 2020 1:11 PM MDT

Is that why I have a PlayStation to arrive at my house by 6pm? What are you having for dinner? I was planning bbq some chicken but now some reason craving pizza. 

September 14, 2020 1:14 PM MDT

• Possibly. But Stay Tuned and on top of things.  I'm sure there will be much more to come. 
      September 14, 2020 1:17 PM MDT

If you tell me to stay on top of things, I will. I’m pretty easy going and not bossy.... 
      September 14, 2020 1:20 PM MDT

It's been so long since I worked in an actual office, but I seem to remember talking on the phone and pretending to write as if it were a work call, but it was actually a personal call. 

I work at home almost exclusively now. The sooner I get whatever I decide I HAVE to accomplish for the day done, the sooner I can have an edible. I'm pretty focused. Hehe. 
      September 14, 2020 6:10 PM MDT

That's pretty much like the reward concept of a doggie treat for doing a trick or for following commands, isn't it?

September 14, 2020 9:27 PM MDT

Is it, though? For some people, yeah, I guess it is. It definitely isn't for me, and I'd never want it to be that for me, and I'm pretty sure that I'd never allow it to be. 

I'm fortunate to enjoy both my work and who I work for. It's a big part of my life, but it isn't my whole life. I'm blessed to have a few people (and 2 dogs) who I can truly call family and they are big part of my life. I enjoy traveling, I have hobbies, friends, etc. 
      September 15, 2020 4:32 PM MDT

September 15, 2020 5:01 PM MDT