Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » More facts time! Did you know that there's an actual clinical term called the Tetris Effect and it involves human behavior?

More facts time! Did you know that there's an actual clinical term called the Tetris Effect and it involves human behavior?

I just found this really cool because the Tetris Effect occurs to me for its namesake. The Tetris Effect occurs when you do something so much for so long, that you start seeing it, feeling it, and dreaming about it elsewhere. It also includes that wobbly-legged feeling you get after getting off of a boat. It comes from the fact that the effect is especially true for Tetris players. We play it for so long that we start seeing blocks everywhere--mentally playing the game on grids, seeing them fall down on skylines... we hallucinate blocks everywhere. We sometimes even dream of Tetris. That's why it's called the Tetris Effect. I just thought it was really cool that this principle I've been fascinated by for so long is called the Tetris effect, and I'm obsessed with Tetris :)

KNOWLEDGE IS MEANT TO BE SHARED!

Posted - October 11, 2016

Responses

There are more practical applications for this.

For example, if you learn to see language framing, you start to see it everywhere and you can account for it when you consider other people's rhetoric.

October 12, 2016 12:12 AM MDT

His content sounds a bit too right-winged for my taste, but I think I get what he's saying. Repetition causes expectations. 
      October 12, 2016 12:37 AM MDT

@ISS -- I suggest watching the full video again.

What Lakoff is talking about is how the political right in the US is VERY successful is selling its agenda because it understands (far better than the political left) how human beings actually process rhetoric.

Ask people if they support a tax on inherited wealth that exempts the first $5 million and, hence, is only paid by the very very wealthy...and a large majority of Americans support it.

Ask people if they support the "death tax," and a significant majority of Americans oppose it.

Guess which rhetoric the political right uses...
      October 12, 2016 7:33 AM MDT

I think I get it now. I'm a bit tired so it's hard for me to process things right now, but if I'm not mistaken, is he saying that Republicans are far better at appealing to other Republicans because they know how to word things to get them to agree (excessive repetition) whereas Democrats are relying too much on just asking questions about things people already know without repetition? Or something like that? Is this what he's trying to say? I'm sorry if I'm not getting it yet--I'm awfully tired and my ADHD meds have worn out :/ I want to understand it though. 
      October 12, 2016 7:50 AM MDT

LOL!  Thank you, SKROTS!  That was a truly funny video.  Some reality-disaffected, self-impressed pseudo-intellectual control freak playing pin-the-blame on the dissenters for the audacity of formulating talking points to defend against the democratic takeover of people's lives via health 'care' 'reform.' Priceless!

Maybe people keep parroting "government takeover" because that is PRECISELY what mandatory, SOCIALIZED medicine is!

Stay out of people's lives, pocket books, beds, bodies, medical decisions, workplaces and gun cabinets, statists.  Try minding your own damned business for a REAL change.  I know it'll hurt at first, but you can do it!

This post was edited by Transquesta at October 12, 2016 2:07 AM MDT
      October 12, 2016 2:04 AM MDT

@I'vegotnuggetsJr

Once again, your criticism/counterargument boils down to this.

Perhaps you will find the following video more applicable?

This post was edited by OldSchoolTheSKOSlives at October 12, 2016 7:25 AM MDT
      October 12, 2016 7:21 AM MDT

I discovered this anomaly which I was a kid and would play Galaga with my friends for hours on end.  When I closed my eyes at night I could see the traveling mat/starfield and little alien ships flying around--quite vividly, in fact.
      October 12, 2016 1:56 AM MDT

• If a human brain can be tricked and "washed" this easily, just think what else is going wrong up there.
      October 12, 2016 7:49 AM MDT