Active Now

Zack
Discussion » Questions » Family » Parents, what are some actions that many other parents undertake in raising their children that you find absolutely ridiculous?

Parents, what are some actions that many other parents undertake in raising their children that you find absolutely ridiculous?

~

Posted - September 21, 2020

Responses

Anything that is not in the manual that comes with them at birth. 
      September 21, 2020 10:12 AM MDT

Wait, there’s a manual?

~

September 21, 2020 10:27 AM MDT

haha, if there was a manual perhaps the world would be much different.
    love the "Magic of Dad's voice," it carries a lot of weight. 
    Sounds like you are a doting father, anyone would be blessed to have a dad like you. 

This post was edited by . at September 21, 2020 12:02 PM MDT
      September 21, 2020 11:40 AM MDT

Not following through, and it is actually quite life altering and serious.  When you say to child, if you XXXXX I'm going to  XXXXX, then if he does that thing  you must follow through or your word, integrity, and credibility suffer.  It's also unfair to teach your children that they will not be accountable for their actions.  We are witnessing a generation providing a glimpse into the result of failed parenting.

It is better to avoid the if you then I will scenario altogether.   Positive speech is better.  Tell your child to walk rather than to not run.  Be silent is better than stop talking.     And never tell your child I prefer that you do not when he asks for permission thinking you have said no.  You haven't.  You have given the child the choice to do as he pleases. 

It's the hardest job out there!!! This post was edited by Thriftymaid at September 21, 2020 3:55 PM MDT
      September 21, 2020 2:53 PM MDT

Good advice, great advice. 
      September 21, 2020 3:09 PM MDT

Thanks.  
      September 21, 2020 3:23 PM MDT

I think "following through" needs frequently to be re-evaluated first in terms of justice, mercy, and In that scenario whether the parent made a bad decision about the consequences to be imposed.

And I can't agree that "positive speech" is better---Most comments by parents that prevent injuries are in the form of injunctions, not permissions. 

When our boys had children, they asked us the names of the books we used to raise them.

We gave them those names and those books are still available for purchase---much like any of the other classics..
      September 21, 2020 3:36 PM MDT

Positive speech is not necessarily a permission; it is most likely a directive, like my example.  Most comments......   Ha!  Did you take a poll?  You should know better than to try such generalization here. 

September 22, 2020 2:31 PM MDT

I grew up in an extremely strict household, my wife did not. We also grew up on different countries and with different backgrounds. Partially as a result of our different upbringings, and partially as a result of our differing cultures/customs, my wife and I have always been polar opposites in our views of parenting.  She usually saw me as being too tough, I always saw her as being too lenient.  While that’s generally true along gender norms that fathers are more stringent and mothers more forgiving, it certainly seemed on our household that the stereotypes were greatly exaggerated.

When I read what you wrote about parents following through on what they say to their children, it described my wife exactly. If she imposed a consequence on them for having misbehaved, they didn’t take her seriously because they knew from experience that she would back down very quickly. When she spoke to them, it was a battle for her to get them to do anything, when I spoke, it was only one time and they would follow through. Soon, she began to turn to me all the time to get them to behave, because as she put it, “they listen to you, they don’t listen to me.”  I countered that she was turning me into the bad guy, the meanie, the heavy, because in their minds, I was the only one who enforced rules in the house, and she was the one who let them slide all the time. I told her that she needed to get her own respect, and that was by showing them that when she spoke, she meant it. She had to follow through so that they knew she meant business, simple as that. Of course, I backed up her word and I worked with her, but that was still a situation of the kids doing what they were told only because I said it, not because she said it. They still saw her word as being malleable, and therefore, they could ignore her.

Our children are grown now, and there are no grandchildren yet, not even on the horizon.
    ~

September 21, 2020 3:54 PM MDT

When they turned 21 it was especially a happy day to me.  I kind of felt like my job was going on part-time as soon as they walked across the stage finishing university.  I meant it when I said it's hardest job in the world.  I did it by myself working and going to law school at night.  I look back now and don't know how I...we...survived.  Me being able to trust them had a lot to do with it. 
      September 22, 2020 2:36 PM MDT

September 22, 2020 4:42 PM MDT

I don't understand the thinking of parents who hit their children as a consequence for hitting someone (usually whilst yelling "We don't hit people!"). 
      September 26, 2020 6:34 PM MDT