Active Now

Element 99
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Education » What is the correct way to use parentheses inside another set of parentheses?

What is the correct way to use parentheses inside another set of parentheses?

For instance:

What is the correct way (correct as in without violating elements of style (or any other (English language) writing instruction guide) to use parentheses inside another set of parentheses?

In the example above, it seems extremely awkward to use a second set of parentheses inside an initial or original set of parentheses. I can’t imagine that any style guide would recommend this practice, so there must be suggestions on alternatives. 

~

Posted - October 4, 2020

Responses

It's awkward. I wouldn't do it when writing professionally. 

I'm sure you know and this is a test for all of us. 

I also think you have typos up there, but I can't tell for all the parentheses. 
      October 4, 2020 3:38 PM MDT

You’re right about the typo, thank you for alerting me; I have corrected it. (Do you know where any (extremely high) bridges are located nearby?)

No, I don’t know the concrete answer, but organically, I know the awkwardness of the idea certainly must eliminate it from any serious consideration, and therefore a better way to express the idea has to exist. 

My post is tongue-in-cheek; no serious writer would espouse such nonsense. 

~

October 4, 2020 3:44 PM MDT

I do not know. 

Good thing no one here is serious! 

October 4, 2020 3:57 PM MDT

October 4, 2020 4:26 PM MDT

Big D. You're talking Greek to me.
      October 4, 2020 4:49 PM MDT

LOL. 

October 4, 2020 5:01 PM MDT

I try not to use them but when I have, I have used [] on the outside and () on the inside. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at May 28, 2023 8:57 PM MDT
      October 5, 2020 4:32 PM MDT