Active Now

Element 99
Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Perhaps it would be best if all countries required all citizens to serve in the military as Israel does. Why "best"?

Perhaps it would be best if all countries required all citizens to serve in the military as Israel does. Why "best"?

Obviously because then any head of government would have had personal experience with military service and if they survived and did not die in battle and became head of the government they would know what waging war was like for those on the ground who fight and die. As it heads move military around like chess pieces. Detached indifferent uninvolved uncaring. Mebbe they should be experienced. Wouldn't that be by far the BEST?

What would be so bad about that?

Posted - October 7, 2020

Responses

Read Heinlein's Starship Troopers (not the movie, it's not even close to the same story or philosophy). Conscription isn't the answer and the military itself is opposed to it. The last thing a combat trooper needs on his flank when the sh** hits the fan is a surly kid nursing a draft grudge, hating it and looking for a chance to bug out. If someone doesn't want to be there, the military has no use for them. Fighting spirit is either there or it's not, a sense of civic duty must come from within.
    Limiting the franchise to veterans could work, provided that an applicant could not be refused from service for any other reason than inability to understand the oath. Minimum of two years service with the onus on the military to find work which the recruit is physically capable of performing, that requires sacrifice, privation and the possibility of personal danger. Separate the aggressive ones and make them the sheep dogs, and the sheep will give you no trouble.
      October 7, 2020 4:49 AM MDT

So how long have you been thinking about this R? It seems very comprehensive thoughtful and well-planned. Did it just show up now in response to my question? If so I am suitably gobstomped. I like it. I had not thought of anyone being belligerent about it. Are Israelis belligerent about it or are they good with serving their country in a way that is most needed? I have to rethink my thinking on that issue. I know I ABHOR being ordered to do this and that if I'm not up to it or in the mood so why would I expect any other homo sap to be different? I wonder if we have enough Israeli Muggers that if I asked the question I'd get a hit? Maybe I will ask it indirectly! Thank you for your very informative and extremely helpful reply R. Here goes my question and thanks again! :) This post was edited by RosieG at October 7, 2020 6:31 AM MDT
      October 7, 2020 4:54 AM MDT

I'm paraphrasing the book, I know it almost by heart. The trick is that anybody who volunteers is accepted, non-volunteers aren't required to serve and can't vote. Ergo, a citizen must demonstrate a willingness to put the nation's welfare ahead of their own before being permitted to decide who runs it.
      October 7, 2020 5:14 AM MDT

So if we had that here in America if a citizen is ineglible to vote would he/she also be inegible to be a president? You know I gotta ask that. No dumb cluck duck with 5 draft dodging dodges. Thank you for your reply.
      October 7, 2020 6:33 AM MDT