Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » A LIE can save a life or take a life. Are they same to you? Intent and outcome are irrelevant? A lie is a lie is a lie is a lie is a lie?

A LIE can save a life or take a life. Are they same to you? Intent and outcome are irrelevant? A lie is a lie is a lie is a lie is a lie?

Posted - October 11, 2020

Responses

We like to categorize lies.  White lies, lies of exaggeration, bold faced lies,or whatever.  Despite what we call them or how we rationalize saying them in our head is irrelevant, they are still lies.  And lies have only one purpose - to deceive.  It's best to remain silent than to tell a lie.
      October 11, 2020 2:50 PM MDT

I will lie to save your life Shuhak. Without any hesitation I will lie. I don't lie about my age or weight. If I did it would matter not. Those lies are irrelevant to anything that matters. Lies are not remotely the same. INTENT and OUTCOME is basic to all of them. Old women who take 20 years off their ages fool no one. They just look pathetic doing it. But it hurts no one. A white woman who says a black man or black boy raped caused deaths.  Or smiling at her. Lies of evil intent with a horrendous outcome. Lies are not all alike. Some are so inane and inconsequential you wonder why anyone bother telling them. Others? Aren't. Just my take on it Shuhak. Thank you  for your reply! I wonder how many times a lie caused sometime to suffer or die? Any idea? I shall ask. This post was edited by RosieG at October 12, 2020 9:19 AM MDT
      October 12, 2020 2:48 AM MDT

We all lie (more times than we may realize).  To say otherwise is a lie.  We lie so as not to hurt feelings (no, those jeans don't make you look fat), to protect someone (my child would never do that), vanity (I'm really 39), to ty to dodge a bullet (I'm not dri... (hic) .. driving drunk .. drunk), to make ourselves out to be something we're not (such as lying on a resume), (etc.).   My point was that no matter how we try to spin it, a lie is meant to deceive).  Whether we're trying to spare someone the "awful truth" (you look old!), to spare us from suffering (wow!  those jeans make you look sooo fat!), to make ourselves out to be something we're definitely not (like trump), or whatever.  A lie is still a lie.
      October 12, 2020 9:48 AM MDT

We disagree on this mdear but so what? No matter. Have you watched/listened to any of the hearing so far? Amy Clobishar (sp?)was OUTSTANDING! But so too was a Republican who talked about the difference between CIVICS and POLITICS. I'm not sure of his name but I was stunned shocked and happy that he took that tack. Anyway right now there is a break. It may be a done deal but it's good to hear defense of NOT DOING IT till after the election. The majority of Americans I believe think the GOP is doing the wrong thing. Hypocrisy does not sit well with them. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :) This post was edited by RosieG at October 12, 2020 10:47 AM MDT
      October 12, 2020 9:53 AM MDT

No, I'm not watching it.
      October 12, 2020 10:47 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      October 15, 2020 4:54 AM MDT

A white lie to save someone's feelings can be preferable to brutal honesty.
      October 15, 2020 5:41 AM MDT

Exactly m'dear. Here's my take on it. If a lie is told to COVER YOUR A** bad ting. If a lie it told to protect someone's feelings and has no other consequence than that it is not a bad ting. It is a KIND ting. So we agree. Thank you
      October 16, 2020 5:36 AM MDT