Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » How does the color of your skin determine or play a part in the person you become? Why?

How does the color of your skin determine or play a part in the person you become? Why?

Posted - October 12, 2020

Responses

It shouldn’t.  But unfortunately, it does. 

Those of color usually can’t afford a good education.  People of color are usually looked down upon as being inferior.  People of color are usually not given the “breaks” that those who are not of color do.

Having these (for lack of a better word) “disadvantages” affects what a person becomes.  They may have the most brilliant mind known to man, but simply because of the color of their skin they will be ignored or mocked.  Or they won’t receive the education to help hone that mind.  They may have a great invention or know how to treat a disease.  Yet, they will be rejected, or another will steel their idea (and any wealth that may have gone along with it), simply because of the color of their skin.  Things like this have an effect on the human psyche.  Why bother to try if you’re only going to get knocked down or killed?  How can you help if no one will listen?  And all just because your skin happens to be a different color.

October 12, 2020 12:04 PM MDT

Why wasn't it the opposite though Shuhak? Why was 'white' desirable and any other color less so? Why couldn't beautiful darker skin be the desired and pasty white which is definitely less attractive less appealing and looks kinda sickly the less desirable color? I don't get it. If beauty alone were the determiner would skin lake Halle Berry be deemed more beautiful than Meryl Streep? Who decided that color inferiorized people and lack of it sanctified homo saps? I guess we will never know. i shall ask. Maybe someone knows. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :)
      October 13, 2020 2:29 AM MDT

It’s not so much beauty as it is who won the war, arrogance, and economics.  Throughout human history, each “color” has had their turn dominating (wars).  It just so happens that the fair-skinned (European) people were the last to do so.  Human arrogance has always stated that, ‘if something is different from you, then it must be inferior’.  One isn’t going to waste their time or money trying to “educate” something they consider inferior. 
    As much as we want to end all prejudice, it will never happen.  Whichever “color” is in power will always seek to dominate those who are not like them – whether they be black, white, red, yellow, green, purple or whatever.  That’s just how humans are.  Human history proves this true. 

October 13, 2020 11:14 AM MDT

When were people "of color" conquerors Shuhak? I guess GHENKIS KAHN was oriental? Have African Americans other blacks conquered many lands? I know in individual countries there are some monstrous murderers of their own people whose skin like "the other". I just don't grasp how and why homo sapheads decided on a skin color as an indicator of value worth relevance. Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply m'dear! :)
      October 14, 2020 5:55 AM MDT

Some 5000 years ago, Egypt was a conqueror.    Genghis Khan was chinese.  Alexander the Great and Attila the Hun had olive colored skin.  As the northern kingdoms/nations began to rule, "white" became the"dominant" color.  Remember, many times conquerors wiped out or castrated those they conquered (so they could never rise up against them again).  They usually kept the young women as servants and sexual playthings.  Even though the "half-breads" from these affairs were many times abhorred, they did mix into other races.  Some Conquers scattered their new "conquests" throughout their realms (keep them from regrouping), while others welcomed them in as members of their society.  Of course all this "mixing" caused the skin colors to change over time.  
      October 14, 2020 9:57 AM MDT

So the value of the skin color came with power? Whomever was in control/in charge set the tone? So to speak? Who was the whitest baddest conqueror? Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :) This post was edited by RosieG at October 14, 2020 3:30 PM MDT
      October 14, 2020 1:12 PM MDT

That's how it works.

I don't really know who was the worst.
      October 14, 2020 3:45 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      October 15, 2020 2:37 AM MDT

In this country, in this world, in this life, color is constantly involved in how we treat each other - Even when we're unaware.

Why? Because as humans we're programmed to recognize and judge differences. The hard part  is making sure that we see differences that really matter, and forget the ones that don't .
      October 12, 2020 12:43 PM MDT

When do you think that take on things began BL? From the very start or did it develop over generations? As a young girl the only "color" I desired was to have a great tan! Otherwise skin color didn't even enter my brain. At least not consciously. I have no idea what goes on in my subconscious. I remember admiring gals with beautiful unblemished skin. Color didn't matter but smooth without pimples was really all that came to mind. Only later as I got older did I realize that skin color is very important to people on a social political gut level. SIGH. I wish I knew why. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :)
      October 13, 2020 2:23 AM MDT

I think awareness of differences is ingrained from birth. 

How and when we judge difference is something we learn over time, based on cultural norms and biases.
      October 15, 2020 2:57 AM MDT

Where are you BL? I'm in Hemet, California and it is 2:03 am here! I think it has a lot to do with our parents don't you? If one is born into a home where the parents have very strong hate for a specific group of people how does the child escape that and not get to be like that too? I mean kids born to WHITE SUPREMACIST racists. How often do they escape being the same? Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday to thee and thine! :) This post was edited by RosieG at October 15, 2020 3:02 AM MDT
      October 15, 2020 3:01 AM MDT