Active Now

Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I think it is logical to believe those who are MOST ENTHUSIASTIC about the election HAVE ALREADY VOTED. The others?

I think it is logical to believe those who are MOST ENTHUSIASTIC about the election HAVE ALREADY VOTED. The others?

They may or may not show up. They may simply opt out. Anything is possible. Even that.

What if an election were held and NO ONE SHOWED UP?

Posted - October 30, 2020

Responses

Lol. You think I am not voting?   Trust me I am enthusiastically voting Tues.  
      October 30, 2020 6:50 AM MDT

:) :)
      October 30, 2020 8:12 AM MDT

I disagree.  Some people believe that voting is so sacred that it can only be performed on election day.  Their position is, that's how it's always been and that's how it always should be.  To do it any other way is a violation of American sanctity.   This is especially true of many "older" voters.

No matter what election we hold - even if its only for dog catcher, some people will still show up.  They firmly believe that it's their duty a Americans (again, this is especially true of "older" voters).  The turnout percentages won't be great, but some people will vote nonetheless.  Until this county went all mail-in voting, I got to observe a lot of voting (plus mom - as a voting precinct inspector - shared her observations as well).
      October 30, 2020 12:09 PM MDT

You do know that Sunday was only for Church in America in the 1800's. 

So the day for voting was established on a Tuesday to allow everyone to have a day (Monday) to travel to the polls on Tuesday.

That reminds me of a story in the book The Song of the Bird---

Years ago a holy man had adopted a stray cat.  The cat always wanted to be close to him, so the car was always interrupting the services conducted by that holy man, so he tied the cat up on a leash close to him at the services.

When the holy man died, the people kept the cat in the same place at the services until the cat also passed away.  Subsequently, uncomfortable with the absence of a cat at the services, the people adopted another cat and also kept him in the same place during the services.

This practice by the people continued over the centuries.

Recently, there have been a number of scholarly articles written examining the theological 
    significance of the presence of a cat at those services.

The book by Anthony de Mello S. J. is available to read online at:

https://archive.org/stream/SongOfTheBird-TonyDmello/songofbird_djvu.txt

This post was edited by tom jackson at October 30, 2020 2:39 PM MDT
      October 30, 2020 2:08 PM MDT

Do you go to church only on Sunday? I don't know if they are comparaable Shuhak but that's the first thing that popped in my head when I read your second sentence. So of course I shared it even if it is irrelevant to the point. I dunno. I think those who wait for THAT DAY this time are the ones who are loaded for bear and possibly armed HOPING for a rumble. Just as I NEVER go out shopping on BLACK FRIDAY some wait all year for it and camp out for it and maybe even elbow their way in. Again I don't know if that is relevant either. Maybe I should quit before I get any behinder! Fingers crossed the casualties won't be great. Thank you for your reply m'dear and Happy Saturday. Us old folks sometimes cannot stand in line for hours. :)
      October 31, 2020 2:37 AM MDT