Active Now

Slartibartfast
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » How often do you get headaches? What was your worst headache like? What caused it?

How often do you get headaches? What was your worst headache like? What caused it?

Once in a while I get a migraine, and it's the worst feeling... Can't move without pain, gotta shut out all light and sound... I am lucky I don't get them often. 

Posted - October 14, 2016

Responses

Nearly every day of late.

My Mother.

Because my mother and father decided to have sex.
      October 14, 2016 2:09 PM MDT

Yikes.
      October 14, 2016 2:23 PM MDT

I used to suffer horribly from monthly migraines.  I still get them, but not at the rate and severity that I used to get them.  Some of the worst ones landed me in an emergency room after day 3 or 4 with no relief.  Some of my headaches were so bad, that I would rock myself on the floor, holding my head.  Horrible.  

Once they came out with drugs like Imitrex, it made a difference.  Migraines are hardly just a bad headache.  Uuugh.
      October 14, 2016 2:26 PM MDT

Well, I'm glad you could find relief, the pain is like nothing else I've experienced...
      October 14, 2016 2:32 PM MDT

Have you been officially diagnosed yet?  Does this run in your family?  Imitrex buys me a few hours of relief until the pain returns and then I would need another tablet.  But before I had that drug, which is NOT a painkiller, life with those headaches was miserable.  I never had the luxury of being able to call out sick from work either when I was raising my kids.

The few things that helped me were frozen bags of peas to my forehead and top of head, asking my husband to message my hands or feet to relax, drinking hot tea and coffee, and taking anti inflammatory drugs like Naproxen.

There is a lot of good info on the internet about migraines, but make sure that is what you have.  I got diagnosed in my mid twenties. This post was edited by PeaPod is just popping by at October 14, 2016 3:23 PM MDT
      October 14, 2016 2:40 PM MDT

Well, thank you! Thankfully it isn't a regular problem, but just an occasional one. I will take this into consideration, though, if it becomes more frequent. 
      October 14, 2016 2:49 PM MDT

I would seriously off myself if I knew I had to live with that on a daily basis.  No lie. 
      October 14, 2016 2:54 PM MDT

Weird thing about migraines Sharonna...when you get over one, you are completely pain-free.  

It was a challenging 25 years with them.  Some things about getting older have been a benefit and losing the real severe headache I used to get is some of it.  :)
      October 14, 2016 3:40 PM MDT

MY WORST HEADACHE

In around 1986, I think, my boyfriend's parents died.  They had a huge funeral I was supposed to attend but could not.   I fell asleep with my contact lenses on and I had a migraine so bad when I woke up that I could not move my head.   There is nothing worse than that one. 

There were no asprins in the house I was staying in and I lay there for hours before someone came over and assisted me with something to down for the pain.
      October 14, 2016 2:53 PM MDT

1957. Cerebral hemorrrhage. I was on the critical list for most of a month. Back in those days, you died of this condition. I was a rare survivor who came away with no physical problems. I don't remember much about it. 
      October 14, 2016 3:21 PM MDT

Sounds very miraculous you survived!  Glad you did.
      October 14, 2016 3:41 PM MDT

Thank you for the kind words, Podster!
      October 14, 2016 4:50 PM MDT

You are very welcome.  :)
      October 15, 2016 10:44 AM MDT

I never used to get headaches.  Almost 3 years ago I was in a bad fire and since then I get migraines when the weather (barometric pressure) changes.  A couple of them lasted three days, though the norm is 1-2.  At worst I cannot tolerate any light, am nauseous, I have visual effects and it feels like I have an ice pick in my brain.  I really do not know what the connection is between the fire and my being affected by the barometric pressure changing, but I can pinpoint that being when the headaches began.
      October 14, 2016 3:22 PM MDT

Awful.  Don't hesitate to get them treated.  There are some good medications for them if they get more regular.
      October 14, 2016 3:42 PM MDT

Medications affect me weirdly, so I tend to shy away from taking anything unless I absolutely have to.  I am hoping that if I find the connection between the fire and the headaches, there may be something I can do.  In the meantime I am looking for natural ways to help.  I just downloaded an app that plays different frequencies (binaural beats) that are supposed to help in different ways, I haven't tried it with a migraine yet, though.  
      October 14, 2016 4:00 PM MDT

Bozette, here in Phoenix we have Migraine Clinics that work wonders on people.   If you have access to one, you might consider it, since they have many avenues of relief besides just standard pill popping.  Nothing is worse than the curse of a migraine to me.  I hope you find help soon. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 15, 2016 10:31 AM MDT
      October 14, 2016 4:06 PM MDT

Thanks, Sharonna, I have never heard of those clinics.  I am finally going to see a doctor soon and I will see what they have to say about the headaches and go from there.  I am really hoping to find the cause. This post was edited by Bozette at October 15, 2016 10:31 AM MDT
      October 14, 2016 4:26 PM MDT

Bozette, if you are keeping the natural route, do uptake your vitamin B.  I do know that people with migraines tend to be low on that vitamin.  Good luck with getting all the info you can on combating these things.  I sure feel for you.
      October 15, 2016 10:34 AM MDT

Thank you, Peas.  I was thinking of taking a B-complex for other reasons, so I guess I'll quit thinking about it and do it...lol
      October 15, 2016 1:32 PM MDT

i can get headaches a lot, i try to drink coffee but im out of work and now foodstamps wont let you buy the coffee drinks anymore so i have to drink tea instead
      October 16, 2016 7:43 PM MDT