Active Now

Zack
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are pardons only applicable to crimes already committed up to the time of the pardon or do they cover all crimes futurely as well?

Are pardons only applicable to crimes already committed up to the time of the pardon or do they cover all crimes futurely as well?

Posted - December 2, 2020

Responses

They can only apply to crimes already proven and sentenced for.

If you pardon someone for committing a crime in the future, even if there is no evidence the person has broken or will break the law, you are doing two things.

You are implicitly giving the person the right to commit the crime.

OR

You are saying "This person can not  be trusted and has either broken the law or is likely to do so in the future". Where would that leave the innocent? 
      December 4, 2020 3:59 PM MST

Thank you for your reply Durdle. What's going on here is very weird. The duck is toying with the idea of pardoning his three adult children and all his pals some of whom haven't been accused of committing any crimes to my knowledge. So what does that tell you? They did commit crimes which will at some point be discovered so duck wants to shield them while he can. Which makes no sense to me. By so thinking let alone doing he is pointing out that they are guilty of crimes isn't he? Of course everything he does/says/thinks is a**backwards inside out and upside down which seems to have worked for him so why change his MO?  More strange occurs every day. It would be massively entertaining if it were fictional! It is so it isn't. :( This post was edited by RosieG at December 5, 2020 4:48 AM MST
      December 5, 2020 2:27 AM MST

Ford's pardon of Tricky Dick set an unwelcome precedent - had it been challenged, it may well have been overturned, given that Nixon had not been convicted.
      December 5, 2020 2:29 AM MST

I read that Ford had a very tough time with the decision. Why he opted to do as he did I don't know. Maybe he felt it would help the country move on? It certainly wasn't to help us forget or forgive. Thank you for your reply R! :) What would you have done? What would have been the upside for your doing that? This post was edited by RosieG at December 5, 2020 4:51 AM MST
      December 5, 2020 4:50 AM MST