Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Just what New Jersey needs right now! Parts of it will be hit with 12-18 inches of snow. What's the weather like where you are?

Just what New Jersey needs right now! Parts of it will be hit with 12-18 inches of snow. What's the weather like where you are?

Today's high in Hemet, California is projected to be 66. It is dry. Quite livable

Posted - December 13, 2020

Responses

Rain showers, with a high temperature around 44.
      December 13, 2020 9:52 AM MST

Rain? You mean the wet stuff that drops down from the heavens? Lucky you! Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      December 14, 2020 1:23 AM MST

Right now, it's 55 degrees and mostly cloudy.  They are predicting the possibility of a major snowstorm Wednesday into Thursday.  Fortunately, I don't have to leave the house to go to work. :)  
      December 13, 2020 9:57 AM MST

I'm so happy you can stay safe at home L. On top of everything else fighting your way through a major snowstorm because you have to be somewhere is not high on my list of things I'd like to do! Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to you! :)
      December 14, 2020 1:25 AM MST

It's raining now and we may see a flurry later today, but the big one is in a couple of days.  It was 63 yesterday, but it's cooled down considerably.  Oh, well - I'm snug indoors. :)
      December 14, 2020 6:48 AM MST

You can keep all of the nice rain you're having now my friend. But when "the big one" hits could you send some of it to  us all the way in southern California? I say southern because our pal Shuhak lives in northern California which is also expecting rain so they don't need any. Anyway check the logistics out with whomever is in charge. I know if it's doable you'll share the excess! Thank you for your reply L. Snug and cozy. Works for me! :)
      December 14, 2020 7:03 AM MST

I'll do my best. :)  Happy Monday. :)
      December 14, 2020 9:13 AM MST

Thanks L. Oh for your info I misspoke when I said Shuhak didn't need any of your storm overflow. He said he will take all you can spare so it's up to you entirely how much you divert to him up north and to me down south. We trust you. Now I realize it may not be in your control. Just if it is now you know what we think! Good luck with the storm. Hope it isn't a really bad one! Happy Tuesday m'dear! :) This post was edited by RosieG at December 15, 2020 2:55 PM MST
      December 15, 2020 8:03 AM MST

I'll do my best to make both of you happy.  Today was beautiful - sunny, but chilly.  Tomorrow the storm is supposed t hit around 2 PM and go through until Thursday.  They keep changing the snow totals, but right now it's 6-10 inches.  I went to the supermarket this afternoon and stocked up on basics, so I'm good for at least two weeks, possibly three.
      December 15, 2020 2:59 PM MST

We know you will L. I'm so glad you got a heads up and could go out and get provisions ahead of the storm. I wonder did you ever experience a very bad storm that hit with no warning? That would not be so hot. I know sometimes what you actually get isn't what you were told because sometimes the weather changes drastically from what was predicted. I wonder why that is? Anyway thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      December 16, 2020 2:26 AM MST

We've had several instances where we were told that a big storm was coming and it tuned out to be nothing significant.  A couple of times, we've been told it would be minor and got a ton of snow.  The past couple of years have been easy, but in 2016 we had a major storm and everything in the City stopped dead.
      December 16, 2020 9:45 AM MST

How did you do this time L? Was it less than expected? Looks pretty big and wild to us on the west coast. We checked in with the weather channel and boy the folks in front of the camera were hard to see because of the snow falling furiously! Hope all calms down. It probably is quite beautiful to see. The upside! Thank you for your reply L and Happy Thursday! :)
      December 17, 2020 5:41 AM MST

It came down very fast starting last night.  It snowed about an inch an hour, and the wind was furious, but when all was said and done, we got about 6.5 inches, the least that was predicted.  Not as bad as Binghamton, NY which got 40 inches!  The roads were cleared throughout the night and most sidewalks have at least a path to walk but it will ice up as it's going to be about 24 degrees tonight.  Last year, we got 5.5 inches all winter, so we've gotten more in one day than we did all last year and the winter is just beginning. :)
      December 17, 2020 2:53 PM MST

40 inches? Gadzooks and yikes! How far is Binghamton from you L? One reporter was hard to see through the snow that was coming down. She was in New York and she was really bundled up. Looked as if she were in a blizzard in Alaska! Then they switched to Massachusetts where some snow was falling but it looked like a "normal" snow fall. When I lived in Massachusetts we had a few n'oreasters and no one goes out in them unless it's absolutely essential. Glad you came through okay. I wonder though what the rest of our 2020 will be like? SIGH. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday to you m'dear! :) This post was edited by RosieG at December 18, 2020 7:12 AM MST
      December 18, 2020 1:22 AM MST

Binghamton is about 175 miles from NYC.  They get a lot of snow.  The wind was blowing so hard during the night that it woke me up about 2:30 AM.  I went back to sleep, but the snow plows were out all night and by 4:30 AM, it was impossible to sleep.  This morning, the roads are clear and the sidewalks have clear paths, but there's still a lot of snow between the parked cars.  That will be the next noise - all those folks trying to dig out their cars.  I don't eve want to think about what the rest of 2020 will bring.  
      December 18, 2020 7:16 AM MST

So when all that snow melts where does it go? Into a water table or lakes or streams? Insuring that you will never suffer a drought? Has New York ever been asked to ration water? Thank you for your reply L.
      December 19, 2020 11:23 AM MST

It goes down into the sewer system.  Where it goes from there I don't know.  Some time back, we did have a drought and were asked to ration water - no lawn watering, etc.  That was when I stopped letting the water run while I was brushing my teeth.  I still just we the toothbrush, turn off the water and don't turn it on again until I rinse. :)
      December 19, 2020 12:32 PM MST

You did have a drought in New York L? I did not know that. Maybe everywhere at some time water becomes a precious commodity and has to be rationed. Folks let lawns go brown during our toughest days. No more car washing in the driveway. No more using the hose to "wash" the driveway or the sidewalks. At some time will we run out of potable water? How long do we survive if and when? Thank you for reply L! :)
      December 20, 2020 1:51 AM MST

"The longest duration of drought (D1-D4) in New York lasted 47 weeks beginning on July 24, 2001 and ending on June 11, 2002. The most intense period of drought occurred the week of September 6, 2016 where D3 affected 9.94% of New York land."

https://www.drought.gov/drought/states/new-york

I suppose it's possible that at some point, there could be insufficient potable water, but I don't think it will be in out lifetimes.
      December 20, 2020 3:11 PM MST

I had no idea m'dear! None! Yikes! 47 weeks is a very long time. Thank you for your reply L and Happy Monday to you! Howya doin' today? Everyday is a lifetime unto itself these days or so it seems to me to be. Thank you for the link as well. I wonder what's store for we the people this fine day?
      December 21, 2020 5:23 AM MST

Like everything else, we managed to live through it and I suspect that will not be the worst we have to live through.  I'll take a drought over Covid-19 any day.  

Doing OK today.  It's very cloudy and we are expecting some rain/s now late today and then another storm Christmas Eve.  Anyone wishing for a white Christmas just might get their wish.  How are you guys doing?
      December 21, 2020 6:29 AM MST

Chilly and gloomy.
      December 13, 2020 3:40 PM MST

At least you don't have a major snowstorm to endure. As long as you have utilities that work you can stay as warm as you'd like to be. That's not so bad which is good. Thank you for your reply E! :)
      December 14, 2020 1:26 AM MST

I'm not complaining as we don't go anywhere much lately.
      December 14, 2020 8:27 AM MST