Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » What would cause an hour-long GLOBAL OUTAGE for Google YouTube GMail and Drive apps? Something sinister this way comes?

What would cause an hour-long GLOBAL OUTAGE for Google YouTube GMail and Drive apps? Something sinister this way comes?

Posted - December 14, 2020

Responses

I don't know what could cause it, but I wouldn't care.
      December 14, 2020 1:21 PM MST

I suppose curiousity implies caring so I must care about an awful lot and you must about a lot of naught. Different strokes. To care or not to care. That is the question. Or not. As the case my be. Different strokes? Oh right I already said that. Thank you for your reply E! :) This post was edited by RosieG at December 15, 2020 12:47 PM MST
      December 15, 2020 7:40 AM MST

I'm waiting for YouTube, Twitter and Facebook to merge into one huge time wasting site called YouTwitFace.
      December 14, 2020 1:24 PM MST

I like it.
      December 14, 2020 1:25 PM MST

Hahahahahahahahahaha! That might just be the straw for me R. How could I resist taking a peek at TWITFACE? I mean c'mon! A body can only take so much deprivation and then it goes berserk! That might be my berserk! Thank you for your reply. YOUTWITFACE is something I hope you have patented or whatever they do to keep others from using it. For starters all tweeters who twitter would think it is all about THEM! I'm just saying!.... This post was edited by RosieG at December 16, 2020 3:10 AM MST
      December 15, 2020 7:39 AM MST

It was probably a genuine technical fault but so far at least they've not stated the cause and I wonder if they could be expected to do so.

Facebook etc. going off does not worry me because I do not use it.

What this, and the news of massive hacking attacks, should do is wake people up to the danger. The more society is forced by a technical and commercial cartel of just two or three huge companies to use its one, unified system, the weaker and more exposed society becomes to  both attacks and major technical breakdowns.  

It really does need that cartel breaking up to allow other operating-systems and applications to develop - the reliance on all-things-Microsoft and Google is a gift to the attackers.

At a high level it really does need major companies and State services to develop and use their own software, mutually compatible to the minimum necessary, with communications limited to the really necessary, encrypted and if possible over dedicated telephone networks.

It needs organisations to use off-line and Intranet operation as much as possible, and to keep their security software as up-to-date as possible.

At a simple, everyday level it really does need people to understand that whilst paper communications are superficially slower and genuinely less efficient than electronic when many copies are needed, they cannot be hacked, short of physical theft. 

December 14, 2020 4:59 PM MST

I don't Facebook ever. I think it is an instrument of EVIL and has done far more harm than good. It is a place where the most crackpot nutjobs in the world get together and spread LIES as if they are truths. So many wackadoodlenoodle dingbat crazies are always thee believing all the crap they fling about. Harm is done in greater quantity than good. Now I have NEVER been there so I am just observing from what I have heard not due to peronal experience. Anyway anything that billions of people like is not my cuppa tea. Not for me! Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply Durdle and Happy Tuesday! :)
      December 15, 2020 6:02 AM MST