Discussion » Questions » History » Small hands/Large hands. What size hand has an advantage when pushing the button to start nuclear war? Is small better than large? Why?

Small hands/Large hands. What size hand has an advantage when pushing the button to start nuclear war? Is small better than large? Why?

Is it the thumb or forefinger that pushes the button?

Posted - October 17, 2016

Responses

Size doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure it's the middle finger that would push the button.
      October 17, 2016 5:45 AM MDT

No, it doesn't matter! Obviously no-one will tell you the details of their firing-systems, but one thing that is a myth arising from a metaphor, is that national leaders have their fingers on the switches. They don't. The buttons are near the weapons launchers. The government gives the order to the military units responsible.
      December 1, 2016 5:47 PM MST

I thought there was someone always near the prez who carried a suitcase carrying a device that the prez could use when/if needed? Have you not heard that too Durdle? I'll try to Google it. Thank you for your reply! :)
      December 2, 2016 3:23 AM MST

Oh, I don't know! I didn't think the US President could literally press the button, but I may be wrong.

Certainly from what little has been published, in the UK the Prime Minister (or appropriate deputy I assume) would have to give the order, but the physical firing would be by an appropriate officer of the Armed Forces.

Apart from anything else, the British nuclear-deterrent weapons are on Royal Naval submarines. Very few people know the vessels' positions anywhere in the world's oceans at any given time, and I doubt that includes even Cabinet Ministers; and communications with home are via a Royal Naval command-centre with the appropriate knowledge and equipment. The order to shoot would have to come from Government, but the weapon controls are somewhere in the submarine. 

I imagine the US Navy's fleet is similarly discreet.
      December 3, 2016 5:45 PM MST