Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » When you lose part of your memory is it always only what is in the conscious mind or is the subconscious mind also affected?

When you lose part of your memory is it always only what is in the conscious mind or is the subconscious mind also affected?

Allegedly everything you ever experienced is buried somewhere in your subconscious. Is that true?

Posted - December 15, 2020

Responses

Since there have been instances of people with temporary amnesia regaining their memories - I would say it's possible for the subconscious to remain intact.  Of course, I'd also say it depends on how your brain was injured/damaged.
      December 15, 2020 11:00 AM MST

I had chemotherapy in 2008 that lasted for six months. One of the possible side effects is memory loss. Not all chemo patients experience it. But I'm told I do since there are things people tell me about having happened I do not recall at all. So I was wondering deep down does the memo go from the poisons circulating in your bodies which chemo is? Do you know? Thank you for your informative response Walt! :)
      December 15, 2020 11:37 AM MST

I'm guessing the chemo killed brain cells - which I believe don't grow back.  However, if they only killed the "conscious" cells you could grow new pathways and regain those memories stored in your subconscious.  If it killed both cells, then those memories are lost forever.

But all that is guesswork on my part.  
      December 15, 2020 1:31 PM MST

All things  considered I have no complaints. I mean I'm here 12 years later when my odds were  a 14% chance that I'd live 5 years. It's just that parts of me are lost and I don't know which parts. Thank you for your reply Walt! :)
      December 16, 2020 3:08 AM MST

What? I don't remember.
      December 15, 2020 11:01 AM MST