Active Now

Malizz
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Share a common quote or saying that makes no sense. Please explain why you think so.

Share a common quote or saying that makes no sense. Please explain why you think so.

For example, "you're only as young as you feel."

How one feels is not merely a matter of optimism or wishful thinking, 
it's far more likely to be an objective indicator of good health.

Research shows that people's chronological age is often very different to their real physical age.
A fit sixty-year-old can have the bone density, heart-rate and energy of a forty-year-old,
while an obese forty-year-old can have diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease.

Posted - December 19, 2020

Responses

Practice makes perfect.
    Well, not so fast there, Word Warriors. Since true perfection can never be attained, practicing with it as a goal, as the main goal, or as the singular goal, are all exercises in futility. One can achieve a high level of success, sure, but cannot ever achieve perfection, simply because perfection doesn’t exist. Secondly, the concept that practice is the only way to succeed ignores concepts such as natural ability and plain dumb luck. Some achievements can be reached with little or no practice whatsoever. 

Great question; I hope it garners many answers as provocative and intriguing as the query itself.
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at September 22, 2021 11:01 PM MDT
      December 19, 2020 6:24 PM MST

Perfect reply!

Actually, I've been thinking for years that the concept of perfection is itself a weird one.
    What is defined as perfect shifts with goals as quickly as a chameleon shifts to match its background.

Perhaps the only kind of perfection that can exist is within extremely narrow parameters: the perfect equation can be proven to be correct but achieves it with maximum brevity.

So far, I'm loving everybody's answers.
      December 21, 2020 12:44 AM MST

"All women are the same standing on their heads."  Really?  I mean they must not have even looked!
      December 19, 2020 6:37 PM MST

Ha ha! Exactly! Anyone who thinks women look the same upside-down must be blind or oblivious to proportions, shape, size and countless other features.

I guess they're thinking all the floppy bits hang the opposite way in that position - but so do men's.
      December 21, 2020 12:38 AM MST

Hey, wait . . . !

~

December 21, 2020 8:24 AM MST

Exactly! :D
      December 22, 2020 4:33 PM MST

Make you want to slap your granny

I don't think you can beat that one.
      December 20, 2020 1:52 PM MST

Weird!

I can't imagine anything that could make me want to slap any granny.

Thanks for the contribution. :) 

I hadn't heard that one before. 
      December 21, 2020 12:34 AM MST

I've heard it m y whole life.  People say it when something is really funny or really just about anything.    
      December 21, 2020 5:43 PM MST

Oh my goodness!
      December 21, 2020 8:24 PM MST

Never heard that one.
      December 21, 2020 8:35 PM MST

It is what it is

This saying is one of my all-time pet peeves. It obviously isn't what it isn't. No other explanation needed.

We'll do A and B and go from there

Duh. This is possibly one of the few sayings that's even dumber than the first one.
      December 21, 2020 8:34 PM MST

I agree. It is so obvious that it's dumb.

I think an awful lot of people have trouble accepting reality as it is - which is why they need to remind themselves. I think it's a part of their process of getting to acceptance, or trying to get someone else to it.

"... and go from there" -  I interpret it as intending to improvise after a certain point and not worrying about longer term planning.
      December 22, 2020 4:41 PM MST