Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Sane and answerable question #4: Can you name a surprisingly good or funny celebrity guest star appearance on a TV series?

Sane and answerable question #4: Can you name a surprisingly good or funny celebrity guest star appearance on a TV series?

I'll offer Rob Thomas and Sinbad in 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia'. 

Posted - December 19, 2020

Responses

Emilio Estevez (Charlie Sheen’s real-life brother) appeared on an episode of Sheen’s sitcom, “Two-and-a-Half Men”.

Suzanne Pleshette, who co-starred with Bob Newhart as his wife on his sitcom “The Bob Newhart Show” from 1972 to 1978, also appeared on the last two minutes of the final episode of his next sitcom “Newhart” (1982 to 1990). The plot device had Newhart back in his apartment from the earlier sitcom wake up in the middle of the night and awaken his wife next to him, who turned out to be Pleshette. He told her that he had had a strange dream that he was the owner of an inn located in rural Vermont and married to a beautiful blonde woman who always wore fashionable sweaters. All of that was the setup of the current series.

~

December 19, 2020 8:34 PM MST

All I can think about is you watching either Bob Newhart series. 

Bob Newhart did a really good guest spot on the drama series ER. 
      December 19, 2020 8:37 PM MST

I loved both versions of Newhart’s sitcoms, but the second one was by far funnier than the first. Its string of characters we’re absolutely hilarious, that show had some great writing. 

~

December 19, 2020 8:41 PM MST

I loved his dry, deadpan humour...classic.
      December 19, 2020 8:50 PM MST

I vaguely remember watching the first one with my mom on a few occasions. The second one seemed very square in my teenaged mind.  
      December 19, 2020 8:59 PM MST

I heard about the latter.  Though hardly saw either Newhart series. They made the whole latter series seem like a dream he was having.  The way it was described to me when they woke up and the audience realized it was her that was one of the great moments in TV. And she said something like "OK no more Thai food for you".  Actually think I may have seen a clip of that somewhere along the way. 
      December 19, 2020 8:47 PM MST

I agree that it was one of the great moments of TV history, but of course I’m biased because I loved the two shows so much. 

:)

December 19, 2020 8:53 PM MST

Not that I am any expert but Bob Newhart seemed to really have it - in almost any context.  Just by himself. 
      December 19, 2020 9:05 PM MST

Randy mentioned 'Two and a Half Men'. They often used celebs in the show...Tom Selleck and Michael Bolton come to mind.
      December 19, 2020 8:52 PM MST

I do not remember Michael Bolton. I'll bet that was funny.

I was thinking about Brad Pitt's spot on Friends earlier. They had quite a few good ones, too... including Tom Selleck! 
      December 19, 2020 9:03 PM MST

I guess Selleck needed the money. Wait...he was in the show 'Mom'...not 2.5 men.
      December 19, 2020 9:21 PM MST

I'm sure that was it. Ha!
    I figured he appeared as one of Charlie's neighbors, but I don't recall seeing him on it. 
      December 19, 2020 9:38 PM MST

Denise Richards, Charlie Sheen’s real-life ex-wife, appeared as a guest star on his sitcom, “Two-and-a-Half Men” as one of his numerous ex-flings and/or ex-girlfriends. 

I believe that his father, Martin Sheen, also appeared on that series at some point. 

At least a dozen celebs appeared on Seinfeld”, at least baseball players, I believe one was Alex Rodriguez, the former mayor of New York City Ed Koch, actress and singer Bette Midler, etc. 

~

This post was edited by Randy D at May 1, 2021 8:28 PM MDT
      December 19, 2020 9:15 PM MST

Jeeter was on Seinfeld. Also Mariska Hargatay.
      December 19, 2020 9:23 PM MST

She was also on ER. 
      December 19, 2020 9:36 PM MST

So, let me get this right -- if I go to rehab . . .

I might wake up in bed . . .

and Rob Thomas is leaning very closely to me, looking intently at me. . .

and . . . 

(Sammy Davis Jr. on "All in the Family")

:)
      May 1, 2021 7:25 PM MDT

I had to find that clip on YouTube. I remember the song, but not much more than that from AITF. My dad despised it, haha. 

That would be a really popular rehab facility if that were the case, wouldn't it? 

He is one of my faves. I might love him, haha. If you've not seen any of his Social Distance Sessions you should check them out. This is one of my favorite songs he covered. Some of the vids are really funny, interactions with his wife. (he's straight and married, sad news for us both)
      May 1, 2021 7:41 PM MDT

Your last sentence - - sad news, yes.  :)

Finally adding more in reply.  I finally listened here, too. Nice.  
      December 10, 2022 7:44 AM MST

Suzanne Pleshette on the second Bob Newhart show

EDIT: Like Randy D already said -- and I swear - - I did not see his answer before I posted this answer

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at December 10, 2022 1:19 PM MST
      May 1, 2021 7:26 PM MDT

Two different appearances by William Shatner on the Twilight Zone. He's guested on many, many programs (he's been on screen for 70+ years), but the Twilight Zone characters were memorable. 
    • "The Nick of Time" 1960: A honeymooning couple stops at a diner that has fortune telling machines at each table. Shatner's character begins to believe that the machine is really telling the future.
    • "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" 1963: On an airline flight, Shatner's character is the only one to see a gremlin on the wing of the plane tearing at the engine.
    This post was edited by NYAD at December 14, 2022 5:28 PM MST
      December 10, 2022 11:21 AM MST