Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Recreation » What would you love to explore if you had the time and no other obstacles?

What would you love to explore if you had the time and no other obstacles?

Posted - December 25, 2020

Responses

Numerous historical sites, historical archives, historical tomes, etc. 
      I can imagine myself spending hours on end and days on end delving through them, as happy as a clam.
    ~

December 26, 2020 12:13 AM MST

All history around the world?
    Just American?
    Or along any particular theme?

I'll be taking a history unit next semester - Writing Place - my last unit before completing the degree. It will involve gathering as much primary and secondary evidence as possible to show the human relationships with a particular place. I've chosen a particular area 14 k's from where I live. It was once a sacred corroboree site for the initiation of young men, then a coal mine, then dairy, and then the site of the first permaculture community - one which failed due to interpersonal dysfunctions and conflicts. Presently, it lies abandoned, covered in weeds.
      December 26, 2020 10:29 AM MST

World history, worldwide history, ancient history, anthropologistic history, geological history, definitely not restricted to the United States nor to North America.  

December 26, 2020 11:02 AM MST

Countless places that combine natural beauty (mountains and water, especially) and maximum potential for interacting with other animal species. I also enjoy seeing historical structures, particularly if they're intertwined with the natural beauty of the setting (like mills, barns, historic homes, etc.). 

Good luck with your last class! Congrats!!
      December 26, 2020 11:30 AM MST

Would love to explore the Douro Valley in Portugal and visit a lot of the wineries. This is fabulous wine country that is inexpensive with great cuisine. Start in Spain and end up in Porto Portugal 

https://www.visitportugal.com/en/content/douro-valley

11 Reasons Why Portugal's Douro Valley Should Be on Your Bucketlist
      January 4, 2021 10:29 AM MST

To teach me the things that always kept me from being the person I should have been. I don't need to see the physical world that takes place outside of my window, but I may have no choice. This post was edited by Zack at January 4, 2021 3:07 PM MST
      January 4, 2021 10:51 AM MST

Oh, there are many places around the British isles I ought visit and explore. As I live in SW England a lot of them are a long way away, and of course no-one is going anywhere at the moment - or shouldn't be!

I have seen only a few parts of Scotland but they do include the Isle of Skye, not very much of Wales, hardly any of the Peak District and virtually nothing of the Fen country.  

Other than that, the one thing I have had the unique pleasure of doing over the years and hope still to do so yet, is helping to discover and explore hitherto unknown caves; but that's not so easy. Short of exotic expeditions to far-flung countries where open but unexplored caves can be found in remote areas, no longer possible for me,  it's nowadays only achieved by dogged, persistent, patient removal of natural infill. The project can take anything from hours to years to complete - and despite the clues encouraging you to dig there, with no guarantee that you will find significant cave passages beyond the blockage! If you do though, your team is the first people ever to see the place.
      January 18, 2021 4:22 AM MST