Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » According to years-long US satellite images the rivers start off blue and turn to yellow then green in many places. Good/not-so-hot?

According to years-long US satellite images the rivers start off blue and turn to yellow then green in many places. Good/not-so-hot?

Posted - December 30, 2020

Responses

Probably not so hot.  However, it depends on what's turning them color (minerals, algae, sewage, industrial pollution, etc.).

December 30, 2020 12:01 PM MST

I guess the only okay thing among those you mentioned would be minerals, right Shuhak? The other stuff? Yuck. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      January 5, 2021 1:07 AM MST

If the colour has been steady, depending on flow, for as long as anyone can remember, then provided it's not actually from a 100-year-old factory still pouring trade effluent into it somewhere upstream, it's probably natural.

The time to worry is when the river takes on unfamiliar colours for itself, for either drought or flood conditions.

'
    A mature river's natural colour in steady flow is often a drab greyish-brown, depending a lot on the rock residue forming the bulk of its sediment.  Some of the rest of the sediment is actually fish-droppings! ("Mature" here meaning the slower-moving stretch across the lowlands approaching its estuary, usually downstream of most of its tributaries.)

Green usually means a heavy algae load, but unless normal for that river, it could indicate a lot of agricultural fertiliser in the water. 

Blue is typical of clear water reflecting the sky, but can also result from suspended glacial till or clay particles, and heavy loads of them can give the water a cloudy, blue or grey tinted, slightly milky, appearance.

One clue to the normal state of a river in a country like the USA can be its name, if indigenous and ancient, because ancient indigenous names are usually just dryly descriptive when translated. (I live near a famous bay-bar called Chesil Beach, a huge bank of shingle. Why Chesil? Turns out Cisel is Old English for... shingle.)   

+++

I used to work with a  model-railway enthusiast, and he told me making a river look natural was one of the most difficult aspects of making model scenery.
      January 4, 2021 4:44 PM MST

Lots of moving parts involved. When we see photos of crystal clear waters we think they're CLEAN. But that may not always be true. Colorless chemicals can be in them and so visually there's no way of knowing for sure unless the water is tested. Green grass is healthy in appearance. Brown or yellow? Not so much. How good an indicator of anything is the color Durdle? I shall ask. Thank you for your thoughtful informative and helpful reply. Heard yesterday that your entire country is on lockdown due to that fast-spreading virus. Happy Tuesday and STAY SAFE! :)
      January 5, 2021 1:13 AM MST