Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I'm a failure now when I used to not be. Every dessert I bake (cookies/cake/whatever) is not good. I used to be good at it. What happened?

I'm a failure now when I used to not be. Every dessert I bake (cookies/cake/whatever) is not good. I used to be good at it. What happened?

Anything you used to do really well that you can't/don't anymore? Now I don't mean running marathons if you are physically unable to do so. That's a normal aging process thing. But making cookies/cake? I don't get it. I follow the recipes the way I used to I think and yet the proof of the pudding is in the eating and eating it we can't do enjoyably. So we don't. I give up. Waste of time energy and money.

Do you have something like that or am I the only one who is truly lousy at something I used to be able to do well?

Posted - January 2, 2021

Responses

Similar to you, I have lost my ability to cook steaks. I used to get compliments about them, even from my picky eater stepdaughter and her friends. I gave up.
      January 2, 2021 10:48 AM MST

Me too E. I tried and failed AGAIN. I can't take any more failure. I give up. I will buy whatever desserts we want. I'm no longer any good at it. I wonder if I will ever figure out why? Thank you for your reply! :)
      January 2, 2021 10:50 AM MST

Fortunately we don't eat desserts.
      January 2, 2021 10:51 AM MST

My Jim has a HUGE sweet tooth so I thought I could bake the really healthy things for him. You know use stone ground whole  wheat flour that isn't stripped of the wheat germ and add other healthy things. I'm beaten. No more trying. So I'll just buy whatever is healthiest. Yesterday we had a Chocolate Rice cake with peanut butter and Nutella. Not half bad. Thank you for your reply E! :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 2, 2021 10:58 AM MST
      January 2, 2021 10:55 AM MST

My mom blamed that on the ingredients.  She claimed "they changed".

Actually, all that changed was time.  Things taste differently depending on what's going on at the time one eats them.  On a hot summer's day, ice cream tastes so good and refreshing.  Yet that same ice cream doesn't taste good on a cold, raw winter's day when there's 3 feet of snow out.
    The chocolate chip cookies your young child helped you make were the best cookies in the world.  But make those exact same cookies by yourself 50 years later, and somehow they just aren't good anymore.  
      January 2, 2021 1:46 PM MST

You can get that back by getting your GRANDchildren to help. My wife made some cookies with the "help" of our two-year-old granddaughter that were awesome (if you ask Zayianna, she did most of the work herself lol). My mother-in-law rediscovered her love of gourmet cookery when she taught her granddaughter, and my daughter is a REALLY GOOD fancy cook as a result. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at January 2, 2021 4:08 PM MST
      January 2, 2021 1:56 PM MST