Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Family Tradition runs strong and long. Many working-class folks automatically vote Republican even though. Even though WHAT?

Family Tradition runs strong and long. Many working-class folks automatically vote Republican even though. Even though WHAT?

Even though Republicans ALWAYS legislate things that hurt them financially and keep trying to take medical coverage away from them which they desperately need. The huge TAX CUT for the rich doesn't bother them. Nothing the GOP does bothers them though they suffer mightily too for it grievously along with everyone else.

Is family tradition that strong in your family? If you dared to vote DEM would they disown you revile you attack you shun you the the famille is REPUBLICAN through and through and threw and thru and throo??

I doubt that the DEM family tradition if not followed carries such a heavy punishment. I could be wrong. I could be right.

Are you a FAMILY TRADITIONALIST NO MATTER WHAT?

Republican are VERY RIGID followers. No wiggle room. No thinking for oneself. No questioning. Any of that and they are shunned. They follow what they are told always and forever and are dam* proud of it. Just ask them.

Posted - January 14, 2021

Responses

I do not know any working class people who automatically voted Rep.  
    Growing up the only thing I heard politically was "Dems are for the poor and Rep are for the rich."   My first vote was for Bill Clinton in 1992. 

Upon getting older and paying more attention I learned what the default position is for each party. And my next vote was for G W Bush in 2000. 

So as a working class person my automatic vote was for the Dem party. 
      January 14, 2021 6:51 AM MST

Our family tradition was to vote for the candidate that we felt would do the best job. Whose policies were as close to ours as possible. The thing is though, even though we voted differently we rarely had any heated discussions about politics. And we never asked each other how we voted.

My dad was a working-class die-hard straight-ticket Democrat. As were some of my other working-class relatives if I remember correctly. I'm a working-class individual and I never automatically voted Republican. For that matter, I never automatically voted Democrat either. I have always voted on policies, not political party affiliation.
      January 14, 2021 10:22 AM MST

Our "family voting tradition" was to ignore party and vote for the person who we thought was best suited for the job. That "tradition" is still strong with me.  My sister, however, is now swayed by her husband, while my brother (along with all his kids and eligible grandkids) don't vote.
      January 14, 2021 1:33 PM MST

Honestly after FDR saved our country our family always voted for the DEMOCRAT. Maybe it has to do my being first generation American. My folks always voted for those who helped the working class and looked out for them. IT WAS NEVER ANY REPUBLICAN WHO DID THAT. What Republican has ever did done do that? Don't they all ALWAYS LOOK OUT FOR THE RICH THE WEALTHY THE OBSCENELY ADVANTAGED/ PRIVILEGED? When not? Thank you for your reply Shuhak. Different families different traditions different values different perceptions. Are you first-generation American as I am or has your family been here for centuries? Jim's family has been here since the 1700's.  :)
      January 15, 2021 5:05 AM MST

No, our family has been here awhile.  I believe we can trace our ancestry back to the early to mid 1700's.  One of my aunts dabbled with genealogies for a bit many years ago, as there were some rumors about my dad's side.
      January 15, 2021 10:22 AM MST

Geez Shuhak maybe your ancestors and Jim's bumped into one another in the 1700's? Wouldn't that be AMAZING? Of course we can probably never know that. But WHAT IF? They connected long ago and thee and me connected here and now? No. That would be too wild and unbelievable. Right? Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      January 15, 2021 10:32 AM MST