Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I am FIRST GENERATION AMERICAN. Jim's family has been here since the 1700's. How far back do you go familywise Americanwise?

I am FIRST GENERATION AMERICAN. Jim's family has been here since the 1700's. How far back do you go familywise Americanwise?

Posted - January 15, 2021

Responses

Both Grandmothers I can trace back to 1600s. 
    My Paternal Grandfather was 1st gen American from Sweden. 
    My Maternal Grandfather was 1st Gen American from Germany. 
      January 15, 2021 5:46 AM MST

OMG m2c that gobstomps me completely! So you've done a geneology search or has your family documented it through the centuries? Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to thee and thine! :)
      January 16, 2021 2:00 AM MST

I did the search about 20yrs ago. When we first got internet service.   I did get info from my Grandparents before they passed away. 
      January 16, 2021 6:48 AM MST

You are a smartie pants m'dear. I mean that most respectfully. You got information from your grandparents before they passed away. Not me. I never even ONCE thought about it. NOT ONCE. How smart is that? Not very. I bet the search now would be easier than 20 years ago when it was probably in its infancy. Something you can pass on to your children. SIGH. TOO SOON OLD TOO LATE SCHMART. Me. Nothing I can do about it but stew and beat myself up. Which I do a lot of. Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Saturday to thee and thine. STAY SAFE! :)
      January 16, 2021 6:55 AM MST

Being a 1 Gen in USA tracing is hard.  I could not get past my Matenal Grandfathers parents (which was info from my Grandma...his ex-wife) 
    If you are interested try a search on Rootsweb.com and Ancestry.com you may get lucky and a cousin perhaps did the search and has uploaded the work.  
    Ancestry normally has a fee but Rootsweb is free. 
      January 16, 2021 7:04 AM MST

No sweetie I tried years ago. Remember my ancestors came from Armenia and Turkey. They emigrated here and much of the time the names that were on the lists of emigrants going through Ellis Island were spelled differently. I don't know the year they emigratred so I looked at the Ellis Island web site for the years I thought they might have. I started off very excited and after many hours of searching I gave up. No one to ask how the name was spelled or what date did they reach Ellis Island? If I only had done that but all those records are in the old country and lots of wars happened and records were destroyed. I just made myself feel very sad. Not your fault. My mom was born in Amasya Armenia. My dad was born in Izmir, Turkey but I think they changed the name of that city to something else. Smyrna maybe? I'm not sure. My mom was born in 1911 and my dad was born in 1904. Their birth records would be back there somewhere if they still existed. I wish I had the keen desire I have now way back then WHEN IT WOULD HAVE MATTERED. Thank you for your reply!  :(  Not you..me. This post was edited by RosieG at January 16, 2021 7:14 AM MST
      January 16, 2021 7:10 AM MST

Mother's side only. It has been traced back to the 1850s in Russia. My grandparents came here in the 1910s.
      January 15, 2021 2:51 PM MST

Geez that is pretty close to 200 years back E. Me? I never bothered to ask. Too shortsighted. I can only trace back to my GRANDPARENTS! That is shameful and embarrassing but by the time I thought about it parents and grandparents were dead and so my ignorance about my roots continues to haunt me. Me. The curious kid. I'm bummed out about it and it's all my own fault. No one else to fault. Did your grandparents come via Ellis Island? I guess that was the only port of entry. My grandparents and parents came through there but I'm not sure exactly what years. Also the spelling of the names is sometimes different so it's hard to tell exactly. Thank you for your reply E! :)
      January 16, 2021 2:05 AM MST

A cousin of mine did a family history; where she got the information, I don't know. My grandmother's family settled in Halifax, NS and my grandfather's in Portland, ME. I don't know how they met. I know nothing about my father's family, other than they were Appalation hillbillies.
      January 16, 2021 7:45 AM MST

Gosh if there were just someway we COULD access all of that! Oh. I know. Go back in time and ask them! But then when we go back in time we might upset things and chaos could be the result. Wait a minit. We got chaos. So maybe we could fix it so the chaos never happened? Odds? Thank you for your reply E! :)
      January 16, 2021 8:23 AM MST

I'm a member of the daughters of the American revolution so my family goes back pretty far on both sides.... One side more hillbilly than the other. :)
      January 15, 2021 3:25 PM MST

My ex-husband's mother was a member of the DAR. She was an EMERSON, related to Ralph Waldo Emerson. Is there a comparable organization for  males Echooos? Thank you for your reply m'dear and Happy Saturday to thee and thine! :)
      January 16, 2021 2:07 AM MST

Good morning Rosie, Yes there is it's the sons of the American revolution. Happy Saturday to you too. : )
      January 16, 2021 7:35 AM MST

Oh so its DARS and SARS? I just giggled Echooos. Apologies. You say it and see if you don't giggle too! Thank you for the reply m'dear! :)
      January 16, 2021 7:40 AM MST

Hehehehe  :)
      January 20, 2021 5:20 PM MST

Thanks m'dear. I just giggled because YOU giggled. I guess giggles are catching? Happy Thursday to thee and thine Echooos! :)
      January 21, 2021 2:35 AM MST

Zero - but one branch of my Australian family has been here for 40,000 years, probably longer (the Australian aborigines never developed writing, so time scales are conjectural - it's at least 40,000 years, but some anthropologists claim as much as twice that. It's the oldest continuous culture on the planet).
    All of my great-grandparents were born in the colonies that became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901, so I'm fourth generation at the very least. Maureen is first generation on the maternal side, her mother was born in that part of the UK that is hardest to pronounce - Worcestershire (of Welsh parents, both from Swansea - my mother-in-law considers herself Welsh-Australian, not English).
      January 15, 2021 5:02 PM MST

First of all R thank you for understanding my intention with this question. I didn't mean to restrict it to Americans so I appreciate your reading between the lines. Secondly we have discussed before briefly. 40,000 YEARS? That takes my breath away. It just does. I mean I feel like saluting you or something. It's awesome to KNOW that m'dear. I get chills and shivers just thinking about my being able to imagine that or my roots. Oh when I lived in Massachusetts I think they pronouce Worcestershire "wooster". Me? I like to say wor ches ter shire! It could be very wrong but I like it so I do it. Your kids will carry on with the knowledge base. Years ago my son and his-then fiance were in Utah I think at a Mormon Temple. I forget the details but they had access to geneaology records and he called asking for any information I could give him about our ancestors. It was VERY SPARSE and it embarrassed me. He said "that's OK mom". It was not okay. It will never be okay. I blew it and there you are! Thank you for your reply and sharing the information about your family history and Maureen's. 40,000 YEARS! That's a bit of history there! :)
      January 16, 2021 2:15 AM MST