Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Giving people what they want doesn't always serve them well. Do we always know what we need? How?

Giving people what they want doesn't always serve them well. Do we always know what we need? How?

It is much smar er to want what you need than to need what you want. Isn't it?  Who is the best decider of that? If you want it aren't you focusing only on that and not on
whether it is good for you or best?

Posted - October 19, 2016

Responses

• ". .  To need what you want. .  " 
    I thought about that one for a minute.
    When the things that we want becomes the things that we need, are they not things that we just simply want anymore?
    Good question Ms Rosie.
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 22, 2016 2:46 AM MDT
      October 19, 2016 4:34 PM MDT

You NEED food, air, water, shelter, clothing, understanding, hope,good health,acceptance, friends, to express yourself, privacy,  sovereignty. You WANT to be famous, rich, [powerful, successful, diamonds, yachts, multiple homes, multiple cars. I doubt  that anyone ever NEEDS some of the things they want my friend. Some want so much that they don't need just to have it and they are never satisfied. It's like a black hole within that can never be filled. Things won't do it. I know we may want different things. But there are basic needs for everyone and frivolous/extravagant wants. You need a place to live.  You don't need a million dollar mansion but you may well want one. You get my drift. Thank you for your reply Lago and the compliment and Happy Thursday to you! Some folks are very greedy and needy. Needing is different than being needy.
      October 20, 2016 1:45 AM MDT

• I understand the difference , Rosie, but my point is different. When things that we just want, but not need, become powerful and all consuming, like being famous for example, when a want is that strong, does it become a need then?
      October 22, 2016 2:50 AM MDT

you have a point
      October 23, 2016 9:42 PM MDT