Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Even if your political views do not align with Kamala Harris's, don't you think today is an important day for America?

Even if your political views do not align with Kamala Harris's, don't you think today is an important day for America?

Posted - January 20, 2021

Responses

Of course. Inauguration day always is, and was especially moving to watch a woman take the oath of office for the first time.
      January 20, 2021 7:23 PM MST

Yes. Thank you, Stu. 
      January 21, 2021 6:42 PM MST

Nope. 
    I do not care about race or gender of a politican. 
    It is all about policies. 
      January 20, 2021 7:44 PM MST

Yup, I agree.
      January 20, 2021 7:52 PM MST

You must be a racist mysoginist.  You can't ignore race or gender.  Focusing on a politicians policies or qualification over race and/or gender is really, really horrible of you.  We are going to have to silence you.  We are going to have to shut you down and make sure that no one ever hears your radical views ever again.  After al we are all about unity.  You must unify with our beliefs or you have to be locked out of all contacts with society.
    This post was edited by Glenn_Blaylock at January 21, 2021 6:39 AM MST
      January 21, 2021 6:34 AM MST

I know they must get me signed up for the "reprogramming" they claim the "Trump cult" needs. :)

Lucky for us no one gets shut down on Answermug for their political opinions. Big Tech should take a lesson. 
      January 21, 2021 6:38 AM MST

I agree completely with your second sentence and strongly disagree with the third. That being said,  I do understand that this has suddenly become the cry of the religious right (despite playing the God card and condemning other politicians, such as Bill Clinton, for immoral behavior),  due to the amoral pile of garbage that occupied the White House the past 4 years. It's only in the past 4-5 years that the religious right suddenly doesn't give a fig about the character or actions of the candidate and now 'policy' is their buzz word. Do you even an inkling how you've been manipulated into not caring about the very things that the bible compels you to care about? 

Much as I do not like Sarah Palin, had the honorable Senator John McCain won in 2008, I would have remembered the January 2009 day a woman finally became VP as an incredibly important day for America, for women, for the world. 

Sincerely sad for any woman human who cannot put their political views aside for one moment and be grateful for the progress of womankind   humankind. 

This post was edited by SavvyAnsley at January 21, 2021 6:47 PM MST
      January 21, 2021 6:15 PM MST

I have always voted policy.  
    My first vote was for Bill Clinton.  It was based on policies then as well. (Pro-choice, free college, did not care about higher taxes, etc) 
    Did Clinton's affairs matter in the long term...nope. Did his signing of NAFTA and deregulation of the banks matter....yep. And not for the good. 
    No. I do not support a woman simply because she is a woman.   There is no policy position I agree with her on. I feel no alignance with her because of being a woman. 
      January 21, 2021 7:18 PM MST

I said 'the religious right', not you, personally. In 1992, you clearly were not part of the religious right, if you supported Bill Clinton and his policies. Correct?

"I do not support a woman simply because she is a woman."  - That was NOT the question. Neither did I question if you felt an alliance. I specifically stated otherwise... if your views don't align with hers. 

January 21, 2021 7:27 PM MST

I am part of the religious right now.
    I was religious then as well but was more libertarian then but did not know the term. But that did not change my reasoning to vote....policies. (My policy positions changed on some issues and I formed policy positions on issues I did not care about before) I have voted on policies rather than fluff for my entire life.  So 4-5 years is not an accurate time frame for me or anyone I know. 
    I disgree that Harris as VP is progress for human or woman kind.  This post was edited by my2cents at January 21, 2021 7:39 PM MST
      January 21, 2021 7:31 PM MST

Clearly.

I've always had views and beliefs that fall on both sides of the aisle, and I've also had views that have changed over the years. I've voted for the lesser of two evils, I've voted for people who have zero change of winning. I have and always will consider the character and actions of the candidates. Despite my lack of any specific religious convictions now, my Christian upbringing taught me that these things are important. What you call "fluff" is the essence of who a person is at their core, and I think that matters. I always have and I always will.

While I do not believe that a person's gender, ethnicity, religion (or lack thereof) are what we should consider when choosing a candidate, I applaud the acceptance and advancement of people who have historically been devalued. I understand that to you that is 'fluff'. To each their own. 

January 23, 2021 8:40 AM MST

I used to think it mattered more.  But as I said for voting it is policy that matters.  Clintons affairs did not shape the country.  Trumps tweets do not shape the country.  Obama's being the first black man did not shape the country. 
    It is the laws and executive orders that shape our country.    

I did not grow up seeing women as being devalued.  I grow up believing a woman can do whatever she wanted.  I have never witnessed anything to make me think that is not possible to this day.   It is about doing the work and putting in the effort. 

I consider valuing a person just for their gender/race etc as fluff. 
      January 23, 2021 9:20 AM MST

I do not understand how you can use statements such as "I did not grow up seeing women as being devalued..." I know you're not trying to say that only things you grew up seeing are facts. 

I'm not having this argument. I don't understand how the same people who scream about 'cancel culture' try to do exactly that when it comes to facts about the lasting effects of discrimination and devaluation. 

Have a good day. 

January 23, 2021 9:43 AM MST

This was simply not the place I have ever lived in...perhaps if it was I would feel different. 

I have not screamed about "cancel culture"....no need  in time, they will eat their own.  I do scream about unfair bias and unfair censorship while the censors get protection from law suits.   But that is a different topic. 

We will not agree on this one... You have a good day as well. 
      January 23, 2021 10:19 AM MST

Today was a very special inauguration for several reasons.  A woman is vice-president, Biden has the opportunity to bring some normalcy back to this nation, no pomp and circumstance as in other times because of the virus.  More important, for the first time in more than four years, the heaviness that hangs over me is gone.  I no longer worry that the idiot in the Oval Office will do or say something that will further divide this country.  This is a time for hope and healing.  
      January 20, 2021 9:13 PM MST

:):):)
      January 20, 2021 9:47 PM MST

Yeh, Biden now has the opportunity to enable politicians to continue to sell out our country to our enemies for person gain, just has he has done for much of his career.
      January 21, 2021 6:37 AM MST

I would attempt to rebut but it would be a waste of my time and yours.
      January 21, 2021 3:00 PM MST

Good thinking. I have it on the highest authority that it's best to avoid the side comments that aren't on topic! 

:)

January 23, 2021 11:02 AM MST

I literally just got goosebumps reading this. Perfectly said, Spunky!!!
      January 21, 2021 5:36 PM MST

Thank you. :)
      January 21, 2021 9:31 PM MST