Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Thebigd
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I know it's wasteful and extravagant. Setting that aside if money were no object would you rather always buy brand new than repair?

I know it's wasteful and extravagant. Setting that aside if money were no object would you rather always buy brand new than repair?

If I could afford it why not? It breaks? Throw it out and get a brand new one.

Well now that I think about it maybe I wouldn't. I can't know unless I'm there and I will never there in this lifetime.

Anyway what do you think about it? If you were that rich would you always buy brand new?

Posted - January 21, 2021

Responses

Cars/Trucks.
    Appliances. 
    Cell phones. 
      January 21, 2021 7:01 AM MST

I used to be able to repair many things: cars, appliances, electronics. No longer. If something costs more to repair than replace, I buy new except for cars.
      January 21, 2021 9:00 AM MST

Did your dad teach you? Did/do you have a natural affinity for it?  Did you take SHOP in High School? Jim repairs stuff but nothing electrical or electronical. Thank goodness. Back in the day everything was simpler. Not complicated. When my dad brought home our first TV in 1948 HE JUST PLUGGED IT IN! No remote to program! You got up off you a** to change channels. That was then when stuff made sense. Sheesh. Thank you for your reply E! :)
      January 21, 2021 11:59 AM MST

My dad disappeared when I was six. I taught myself. The electronics I learned in the Navy. Do you need your radar fixed?
      January 21, 2021 1:06 PM MST

Hahahahahahahahahaha! Would you believe in my entire life no one ever asked me that question? "Do you need your radar fixed"? Do I have any?

Your dad split when you were six? Geez. It must have been really tough. Especially for boys. They need their dads. Did he ever try to contact you when you were grown? I know why you are a SUPER DAD now. You had something with which to compare. A "what not to do" guide. Anyway getting back to the radar. I have a microwave. Does it have anything to do with radar?  Oh. How's the shoulder? Surgery soon? This post was edited by RosieG at January 21, 2021 1:21 PM MST
      January 21, 2021 1:19 PM MST

The original microwave oven was the 'Radar Range' . It, and radar, use a component call a magnetron the produce the high powered signals. I have fixed both radars and microwave ovens.
    When he left, mom split us up. A sister and I were shipped to FL to live with an aunt. I was too young to know what was going on, but I remember having fun in Daytona. I didn't miss him because I didn't really know him. Over the years I learned to despise him.
      January 21, 2021 1:29 PM MST

About that. I'm really sorry that was your experience E. The upside? You have a model of what not to be as a dad. Of course it came at great expense to you but your kids have benefitted I'm sure. Had your Dad been terrific you probably would have been terrific too but you would have had a role model of what to be rather than what not to be. Thank you for your reply. :)
      April 10, 2021 6:08 AM MDT